Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fun to drive

I just had to say..I felt the urge to Play with Bucky on the way home ..( those who know me to be anal and baby my car this should be a shocker:) ).. My road is a semi whindy road posted 25mph...well no one was around so my and Bucky just had to get on it..Brought back memories of my old racing days..OK wasnt going that fast but 55-60 without braking just using the gears made the mile and a half romp very very fun...I forgot myself what a blast this things are...even with 15 year old suspension and no grip tires Bucky stuck to the road like a champ....I LOVE my Loyale wagon!

:headbang: i just like the looks i get from old friends who look at my car and say you actually drive that

Me too, my response is; "Yah, now would you like to see my house in Hawaii, and my property on the Olympic Peninsula, or our house by Flathead Lake, or my airplane? I've NEVER in my l-o-n-g life bought a new car. What will yours be worth in five years?"

even with 15 year old suspension and no grip tires Bucky stuck to the road like a champ....I LOVE my Loyale wagon!

Nothing like hitting a corner to an onramp just right, clipping the inside apex, sweeping all the way out to the edge of the onramp to touch the gravel, tires making a bit of noise, winding out 2nd, and sailing past a much more powerful car that was halfway up the onramp when you started. :D

It's SO much more fun to drive a low powered car hard, because you don't need to be going at felony speeds to do so. And did I mention they're light?

-=Russ=-

Nothing like hitting a corner to an onramp just right, clipping the inside apex, sweeping all the way out to the edge of the onramp to touch the gravel, tires making a bit of noise, winding out 2nd, and sailing past a much more powerful car that was halfway up the onramp when you started. :D

It's SO much more fun to drive a low powered car hard, because you don't need to be going at felony speeds to do so. And did I mention they're light?

-=Russ=-

what he said. Except i have an auto 3-speed :mad::mad:

Nah, a better response is, "Why do you think there's money *in* there? You don't get rich by spending money."

-=Russ=-

I agree completely. I spend less in a year on Brownie than most people do in a couple of payments for that shiny new Camry (and they don't have nearly as much fun driving it).

Kevin

I just had to say..I felt the urge to Play with Bucky on the way home ..( those who know me to be anal and baby my car this should be a shocker:) ).. My road is a semi whindy road posted 25mph...well no one was around so my and Bucky just had to get on it..Brought back memories of my old racing days..OK wasnt going that fast but 55-60 without braking just using the gears made the mile and a half romp very very fun...I forgot myself what a blast this things are...even with 15 year old suspension and no grip tires Bucky stuck to the road like a champ....I LOVE my Loyale wagon!

I was just thinking today how amazingly nimble these things are for 20 year old cars.

Subaru should have never stopped making them..;) But really now...as for cost...I get so much pleasure out of my $600 car..I believe that in the 3+ years ..what I paid for Buck and what I have in him equals maybe 3-4 new car payments..no stress on how am I going to make my next payment and more fun to drive then any of my old muscle cars:headbang:

I really think part of it is the whole "It's paid for" aspect. My Loyale is mine. I don't need to worry about missing payments & having it get towed off. Even with what I paid for it (~$2000 for a mostly rust-free Loyale with AC in Iowa), it's still a great deal, and as soon as I finish resealing the engine & a few other things, it'll be good to go for quite a while.

-=Russ=-

I was just thinking today how amazingly nimble these things are for 20 year old cars.

I agree. I really started liking my old "half-ton" suspension DL (joke) and the softness it was gaining after 15 years or so. Didn't even think about replacing the struts. It was just right with time. :) I did notice gl's are softer from the beginning.

My wagon is about to receive its 4th motor in just under 4 years.

It has caused broken hands, bleeding digits and marital strife.

It has been the butt of new school owners jokes... until they hear it.

When running, it goes pretty quickly, handles like its on rails and can be parked almost anywhere.

I love my wagon.

... see the "
" video recently posted...

Well... I saw that Video... and I Hate it! :mad: ...

- - - - - - - - -

Talkin´ about Loyales, I really Love ´em, I have two Wagons, one Yellow with the ER27 swap, and one White with the mighty EA82.

I made my EA82 really Faster, even faster and more powerfull than it was new (Said my Dad, who bought it new, in 1985) I changed the Carb. for a Weber, and the Vacuum advance in the Disty, for a Single Piped one, also, the Coil for a 45,000 Volts one (Accel Superstock) and the Timin´ to 25º and eliminated the "Y" Pipe exhaust filter, catalithic converter filter, and almost any control, including EGR is eliminated, and now the Car almost Fly! (Comparing it Now and how it was before) You maybe don´t Believe me, but the Difference is enormous.

I simply Adore my Wagons; I really wouldn´t change them for anything else, but the EJ Engine swap, maybe is good Idea to bring more Power to an EA engined Car; but it depends on the specific needs of everyone...

I tried it swappin´ the ER27 on my Other Loyale, but its overweight makes brakes too weak, and handling decreases, also the Radiator doesn´t fit, so I have an overheatin´ problems, maybe with a EJ engine, those problems doesn´t exist...

Anyhow, Good Luck! :)

When I get into my Sport Sedan, it makes me want to drive it like I do on the track. Redline every gear and throw it into a corner at insane speeds. Very hard to be "relaxed" in the car and it sips up the gas no matter how you drive it. 9 psi is nice pulling up a hill without even changing your foot position on the gas pedal, but it eats up 4 times the gas any of my GL's could use at full throttle in first gear going up the same.

When I jump into my GL wagon with its tinted windows, nice sound system, stock vibration dampening mounts... I can just chill and the car is down for whatever. Wanna go a little off road? Go up a crazy looking hill? Rev out 95 mph on the highway? Get 30 mpg? It can do them all, maybe none of them well, but it CAN. :D

I have my list of things that make my wagon a blast

1. Every time I come home to find street parking at my apt I realize just how crazy easy it is to park my wagon. Parking my 94 civic was like parking a semi truck by comparison.

2. I really also like the tinker toy quality that these cars have and the low cost of admission makes it easier to dive into "enhancements" without too much guilt or fear.

3. It is REALLY flingable. You can drive with abandon and still have a certain level of security that you won't kill yourself.

4. The lack of a huge aftemarket in 86 GL wagon performance parts means I have to get creative meaning that the car is more a reflection of me (I guess that means I'm old, crusty and smell like gas sometimes). :lol:

Kevin

the car is more a reflection of me (I guess that means I'm old, crusty and smell like gas sometimes). :lol:

Kevin

YES!!

That's awesome. It totally describes the ownership experience of an older subaru.

I've showed up at school after running late working on my car and filthy. Everyone understands, and is cool with it because they all like the car.

well, i have to say that i was not overly thrilled with my wagon when i first got it, but i drive for a living and having had d/r s.o.t.f. 4wd in the snow was nice.

now that she has been swapped to EJ22 and ft awd, i like the way i can fly down a dirt road and whip the wheel one way or the other and she just swings the tail end around and says "WHAT'S NEXT?"

with the 15in pugs and 195/70 r 15 tires, i'm running at about 11 1/2 inches of ground clearnce. and don't really worry about too much going under me.

just my 2 cents

my brat seems fast! ive owned a 86 fiero, 86 civic, 91 grand am, and diven lots of others. i drove a passat for a day and still like my 79 better. she seems torkier.(beat a dodge neon until 3rd gear and even then it was over) i tap the gas and JUMP! the front end lifts up, just like my moms old duster. and the smell comin from the vents... i can second that. but the system has been bleached so its gone as of yesterday. i can relate to the no carpet and the loud exaust... i cut my shredded carpet out and i have a cherry bomb hooked up right under the drivers seat. (shes soundin good) and i know these are the classic subaru "jeans" but im making it all perfect. no smells no oil leaks no loud "cab" + fast and semi quiet. if i can get a new engine to updrade with ill take my ea71 and make a stroker outta it!

well, i have to say that i was not overly thrilled with my wagon when i first got it, but i drive for a living and having had d/r s.o.t.f. 4wd in the snow was nice.

now that she has been swapped to EJ22 and ft awd, i like the way i can fly down a dirt road and whip the wheel one way or the other and she just swings the tail end around and says "WHAT'S NEXT?"

with the 15in pugs and 195/70 r 15 tires, i'm running at about 11 1/2 inches of ground clearnce. and don't really worry about too much going under me.

just my 2 cents

No doubt, the EJ22 swap + AWD makes it a REALLY fun ride. That's the beauty of these cars, their tinker toy quality makes them accessible and invites tinkering.

I am planning to get a junkyard engine and do a complete rebuild+weber+whatever little improvements that I can work into it. I had an 02 WRX for 4 years and to be honest I find the wagon (pretty much stock) more fun to drive. Its not nearly as fast but it just has a certain something that really makes it a blast.

:rolleyes:

Kevin