Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl Stalling and hesitation, starting off

88 gl 4wd wagon SPFI sometimes stalls and or hesitates when starting off??

Seems to run fine otherwise. In fact really like the car but can't live with this!! Have done most all the usual tune-up stuff even got some MAF cleaner to see if that did anything but still wants to bog-die sometimes unless I rev her up to say 2500 revs before letting clutch in...I about got squished by a truck the other day when it did this. Anything obvious I should check? I know if I take to my local mechanic they will start replacing sensors like throwing darts hoping there is a dart board near by to hit, and then at end of the day say "GEE that doesn't make any sense" Thanks Jeff

Might be something more simple than a sensor. Try getting some carb cleaner and spraying around the base of the throttle body and the intake manifold gaskets. If there is a leak then it will cause these problems. when you spray..if the idle picks up..you found a leak.

Might be something more simple than a sensor. Try getting some carb cleaner and spraying around the base of the throttle body and the intake manifold gaskets. If there is a leak then it will cause these problems. when you spray..if the idle picks up..you found a leak.

Yep, did try this awhile ago. Just for drill and your suggestion reminding me, tried again.......no change in rpm. Thanks anyways. Jeff

is this EA81 or EA82? i think EA82 but i'm not sure.

any check engine light? start there if you have it.

ignition comes to mind - plugs, wires, cap and rotor (if it has them, not sure what motor you have). did you gap the spark plugs? are they fouled? check the rotor, i've seen new ones come unscrewed and also blow to pieces the first time they were cranked (bad parts??).

water temp sensors are frequent problem children. look for corrosion of the harness that plugs into it, the sensor won't be the problem. green, nasty corrosion is what you're looking for.

did it set for awhile? you could add some of that water absorbent stuff to your gas, maybe there's gas getting in there?

if i started replacing sensors i'd start with the MAF.

swapped a MAF from a good running car I also own, and that made no differance at all. Just for giggles pulled of air cleaner snorkel from throttle body and it was oily-yuky inside!! PCV blowby? Anyway cleaned it as much as I could with acetone on paper towels (didn't have any carb cleaner). Gave her a test drive and that cured 80- 90% of the stumbling! Way happy.

Feels safe to drive again! Will shoot some carb cleaner in there see if that helps abit more. Cheers Jeff

you (most likely) need to clean/lubricate your IAC valve. (search for "IAC " or idle air control; skip has quite a few good posts about it)

I was having a similar problem, especially when the engine was still cold.

The IAC is on the front of the engine, has a 5/8" tube going into it from the intake manifold.

To take it off, I've used a set of vicegrips to break the 4 bolts loose. After that you can usually get them by hand.

I sprayed carb cleaner inside the valve and worked it a few times by hand. Then sprayed some silicon lubricant inside the solenoid portion of it.

-Dave

Along with the IAC, the other thing to check is the 2 terminal temperature sensor - check cold resistance - 4K? and clean the connectors. Is the MAF nice and shiny? I would also clean the MAF connector along with the throttle position sensor connector - spray with electrical contact cleaner and let air dry.

I finally found a use for a ratcheting right angle screw driver I've had for a long time - those 4 screws for the IAC. You also want to have some gasket making material for the IAC on hand if you can't reuse the old one.

you (most likely) need to clean/lubricate your IAC valve. (search for "IAC " or idle air control; skip has quite a few good posts about it)

I was having a similar problem, especially when the engine was still cold.

The IAC is on the front of the engine, has a 5/8" tube going into it from the intake manifold.

To take it off, I've used a set of vicegrips to break the 4 bolts loose. After that you can usually get them by hand.

I sprayed carb cleaner inside the valve and worked it a few times by hand. Then sprayed some silicon lubricant inside the solenoid portion of it.

-Dave