Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another soob gone......

an idiot pulled out in front of me today, completely her fault... and I smashed into her 2005 ford taurus at 45 mph and totaled my roo. my friend wasn't wearing his seatbelt, i was. he smashed his head into the windshield and his chest hit the dash. bled some... but not really bad. he'll be back at work tomorrow, he's 260 lbs so he hurt the car more than himself, lol. the lady in the taurus, which i hit square on the passenger side corner, (she was turning in front of me) was trying to put mascara on in the ambulance. can you say DUI? she even tried to drive away from the scene. My car, pretty smashed up. hers was amazingly not that damaged, but she had to leave in an ambulance even though she was wearing her seatbelt. I'm fine... but the soob is toast. if you've seen bdg's white sedan, that's about what mine looks like. I'll have some pics of it posted soon enough. I'll miss that thing. it got me to denver colorado and back without complaining once and I even have a new carb on the way for it from Oregon. :( 4 new axles, brand new headgaskets, complete reaseal, new water pump, 2 new tires, other 2 in great shape, new fuel pump, new rear diff, and royal purple in both front and rear. oh yeah, and new clutch too. all within the last year. this sucks. where am I gonna find another soob to replace it in Tennessee??

Is it the bad season or what? I had just posted the day prior, my very last fix. My car needed nothing - absolutely nothing. That was my first old sube complete. It seems you had all you needed done and car was good too. I feel for ya! The little sube must be invisible to some people, or maybe looking like they are going slower than they really are. Good luck on a new sube, they are around I am sure in your neck of the woods . I have already purchased another. :)

aww man that sucks! Luckily, my RX hasn't been on the road much so no chance it can get wrecked unless someone comes rallyin down my alleyway and rearends it. I know where there's a good 3-door in town for $300 bucks. You could drive it home and swap your 4wd stuff into it cause its a 2wd automatic, just like the one I just got.

aww man that sucks! Luckily, my RX hasn't been on the road much so no chance it can get wrecked unless someone comes rallyin down my alleyway and rearends it. I know where there's a good 3-door in town for $300 bucks. You could drive it home and swap your 4wd stuff into it cause its a 2wd automatic, just like the one I just got.

that's too far to drive, lol.

very true. looking at bgds car... do you think it would be possible to cut the front end off and weld up a new front end? cuz my uncle owns a shop and says he's done it before and if I can find another soob for cheap, put a new front end on it. I'd hate to see it go to the jy... and it is very hard to find non-rotten soobs around here.

well, its only like a 200 dollar plane ticket, and maybe 300 in gas to drive it back.... and then some heart and dedication (read, sweat and labor and bruised knuckles) to make the driveline bits from your dead one (RIP) go into the new one.. but youd have a sube with all the goodies you had before (because you yank em back) and it would be a 3-door. Pseudo-RX :headbang:

That sucks.

If you were doing 45 (or 35, or 30). you are gonna feel it tomorrow....

I can attest to that...I got sideswiped (I was the passenger) while pulling onto the highway...We were doing 10 MPH...the tanker was doing 65...my friend (driver) was on the cell phone...didn't see the big, shiny tube coming his way...

anyway, adrenaline kept the pain away for a few hours, but when I woke up the next morning, I had whiplash (muscle tightness/spasm, misaligned spine/ribs) so terrible I could barely get out of bed. And it only got worse for three days. Get your hands on some opiants (you know, hydros, oxys, the good stuff) FAST. Take a few BEFORE it hurts.

guys... I am feeling it. but, I can't imagine the pain my friend is in who smashed his head into the windshield and demolished my radio, and passenger side a/c vent with his knees. on top of that he went to work, his first day on the job!!!!! wow... what a trooper.

that is very decent considering liability issues. A friend we called "fathead" after a bad accident had no clue he could have been payed for his injuries. His head stayed that way for weeks and he kept going, denied hospital. You have a great friend there!

Sh_t man. Sorry to hear that. Your car was pretty good looking for an east coast car -- better than some colorado ones I've seen. And right after all the work on it too. With this rash of wrecks maybe I should stop driving mine... Come to think of it, I almost slammed into a cow in Utah at 40mph this weekend, but it decided to not jump out in front of me after all. Gave me a pretty good adrenaline rush when it jumped out of the ditch about 30 feet in front of me when I came around the corner though. If you need any parts from Colorado, we've got alot of them out here... How far back is it smashed? If the frame rails are still good from the engine crossmember backwards, it is indeed possible to weld a new front end on. I've done it on a friends car -- it was about a 25mph T-bone incident just like yours. His was still driveable after the accident, except for the radiator fan. The radiator was still just a little forward of the engine and nothing vital broken. He put a tow line to a tree and backed up and pulled the frame out far enough to drive it for another few weeks as a one eyed subaru till he got the new front end.

it still rolls... i'm still not completely clear on the complete extent of the damage. it wasn't driveable though... and it was leaking oil when I got out. I know the front of the engine, aka all the pumps and stuff... is pretty smashed up. I noticed the gear shift was sitting up a couple inches higher than usual... drive system is probably wacked. it's pretty smashed in. but from the looks of it... it only took damage from the wheels up. the hood is actually barely warped... the front bumper matched up with hers perfectly. i'll try to get some pics up.

It looks like you are trying to post it directly from your C drive. You need to put your picture on the web some where and then link to it. Tim

Yes, I suggest Photobucket: www.photobucket.com it´s Free.

Also, Are you really sure that is impossible to fix your subie? here in my country, I saw the most unbelievable crashed cars to be Fixed and runnin´ again; maybe you can fix yours...

Good Luck! :)

actually... I think it is fixable. but I found a good deal on an 89 gl 4wd 5sp wagon... and it runs great. we're gonna get rid of our old truck and just have 2 soobs. :grin: and the lady who I hit called me today after I left her a message... she's not in very good shape. she was badly bruised across the waste by the seatbelt, which didn't even lock up. hit her head on the steering wheel so hard her ears were bleeding... severe whiplash also. she has had 2 cat-scans so far to make sure there's no fluiding building up around her brain. I think I'm going to drive a little slower from now on. she's pretty ticked off at Ford being that the air-bags didn't deploy, and her seatbelt didn't lock up. Her car didn't even freakin crumple. for god's sakes it was even driveable, lol. she was VERY surprised to learn I was ok... that's when she said, "You mean you're 20 year old car faired better in a wreck than my brand new Taurus? What kind of car is it again?" :grin: I have a feeling she's gonna buy a soob... lol.

That was a hard hit!

The right fender has a powerful move in the middle. not a good sign for easy unibody repair. It took for me a fender off and radiator out, etc to find the movement that made it to the firewall. Of course that means the car is all done. hopefully you got lucky and it didn't move on the side of towers closest to firewall and it stayed in front of engine cross member.

I like those wheels are they 13inch?