Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Eeewww... EA82 rear main seal tear-apart pics

Um... yuck. 140k miles or so on the engine (EA82). I pulled it apart to reseal it. It's... really gross inside. Is this normal, or does this speak to neglect on the part of the previous owners in terms of oil changes & such?

DSCF1295.sized.jpg

This is WHY I was doing the reseal:

DSCF1281.sized.jpg

DSCF1282.sized.jpg

DSCF1283.sized.jpg

This was a puddle of oil in the bellhousing:

DSCF1292.sized.jpg

Inside the bellhousing, partially cleaned:

DSCF1294.sized.jpg

Yea. Watch for that rear main. It's nasty when it leaks.

-=Russ=-

Well, both my subies got Oil under the Engine, (It seems to Come out Like Sweat) but, my EA82 was a li´l bit Cleaner when I took off the Oil Pan, two years ago... Maybe is ´cos I use two times a year, a QMI "Motor Flush" ...

A cousin that works in Costa Rica, told me that some Oil Brands have more tendences to leave strong yellow barnish & gum in the Oil Passages; he told me that the Worst on that aspect is Peenzoil, and the Cleaner one is Chevron...

I used many, many years Chevron 20W-50, but now, I do preffer Motul Brand; (It Hides the "Tick of Death" Sound Better) it´s cleaner.

Well, Time to Cleanin´ and Also I suggest that when you make the engine to Run Again, Use a Motor Flush in Next oil Change.

Good Luck! :)

I'm a big believer in pulling the oil pan and cleaning the scunge off the bottom and cleaning the oil pickup screen... But maybe that's just me, the Felix Unger of oil.

Also wanted to give this site a bump on USMB again, for those who may not have seen it. Pretty cool, and the site has lots of info and is not a giant sales pitch.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

DasWaff

Well, both my subies got Oil under the Engine, (It seems to Come out Like Sweat) but, my EA82 was a li´l bit Cleaner when I took off the Oil Pan, two years ago... Maybe is ´cos I use two times a year, a QMI "Motor Flush" ...

A cousin that works in Costa Rica, told me that some Oil Brands have more tendences to leave strong yellow barnish & gum in the Oil Passages; he told me that the Worst on that aspect is Peenzoil, and the Cleaner one is Chevron...

I used many, many years Chevron 20W-50, but now, I do preffer Motul Brand; (It Hides the "Tick of Death" Sound Better) it´s cleaner.

Well, Time to Cleanin´ and Also I suggest that when you make the engine to Run Again, Use a Motor Flush in Next oil Change.

Good Luck! :)

I've been told by a couple of reasonably reliable sources that Pennzoil has a higher paraffin content than other oils, which causes more buildup inside the engine.