Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sit Ubu, sit...

My car no workie. Took filter out, clogged, now no fuel comes out of the line. So, fuel pump gonzo? Where is the fuel pump on a 1991 Loyale? From what I've read here, not too big of a deal, but I don't know where to look for it. Please help. I need my little red wagon to run again.

it's not out of gas is it?

how do you know the filter was clogged if the fuel pump doesn't work?

just inside the passengers side rear wheel underneath the vehicle sets your fuel pump. give it 12 volts to see if it runs.

more details are good. the car was running yesterday just fine? then quit today? or it hasn't run in 3 years?

i know a 1991 loyale is EA82, is it FI? i don't think they're carbbed, but gives us as much information as you can. "car no fuel" is hard for even the most trained mechanic to diagnose!

I hoped it was outa gas, nope. I pulled the filter and blew through it to no avail.

Here is a little background. I put a kitchen faucet in for my father-in-law, he paid me with the Soob. I drove it for a month, boom, it died, timing belt. I put two new belts in it, won't pass emissions, I was probably off a tooth with the belts. The engine had a bunch of miles, and I was told it had a burnt valve, or two. So I opted to put a used engine in. Did that and it runs, oh wait, ran great. But still would not pass emissions. Now, all this time has taken about two years to accomplish the repairs mentioned....time, money, desire....So I figured some old gas, might be the problem, some new plugs would help. I put plugs in. Wouldn't start, put old one back in, still no start. That's when I pulled the filter...off colored fuel drizzled out the outflow side when tipped upside-down. But no air would pass through. Then I tried 'jumping' the filter, piece of hose to take the place of the filter, no start. I dumped some flammable liquid in the intake, it wants to start then. That is what led me to believe the pump is junk.

Hope that makes sense? What does EA82 mean?

What does EA82 mean?

EA82 is your motor..if you look on your block you will see stamped EA82...If you hang out her enough you will learn we refer to our cars by EA71/EA81/EA82/EJ22..and many others...I know someone will get into the full classifications for you

Grossgary, it should be SPFI.

The fuel pump should REALLY pump a LOT of gas when it works, and under a fair amount of potential pressure (up to 50PSI I would guess). So really be careful while playing with an open fuel line, as you may find a lot of flammable liquid all over everywheres if you don't plan for it.

My 91 Loyale is FI, and like grossgary says, the fuel pump is just in front of and inside the passenger side rear tire. Take a look down there and you'll see it.

When you first turn the key on, before you try to start the engine, you should hear it run for a second or so and then stop.

Welcome to the board,:clap:

We need more Utah folks here.

If your truly up in the Mountains you don't need emission testing?

Only us Wasatch Front people need emission testing. Alcohol

Keep us posted on the pump.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

why did you say alcohol?

He's drunk?

As far as the fp thing. You can take rubber mallet and lightly, I said lightly tap the top of the fp housing. It may bump start it. It won't work for long or reliably but may run long enough to get it into the garage or whatnot. If it's not there already. Also if it works it will definately tell you you need an fp.

Again, i said lightly!

UPDATE...car is still where and how it was yesterday. I got re-directed last night.

Glen, I get my mail in the city, but live in the hills, or live for the hills. Either way, this 'free' car is taking a toll. Sweet little thang when I got it, but buddy, it's workin' me pretty hard.

I hear you on the alkeyhol, I guess that's all that guaranteed to pass stuff is, isn't it? Tonight, is gonna be the night, well maybe.

Did I hear you can put a lift-kit on these things? Wow! :brow:

Better get it running before I enter it in the mud bog...

He's drunk?

As far as the fp thing. You can take rubber mallet and lightly, I said lightly tap the top of the fp housing. It may bump start it. It won't work for long or reliably but may run long enough to get it into the garage or whatnot. If it's not there already. Also if it works it will definately tell you you need an fp.

Again, i said lightly!

Been there done that!

A good solid smack works wonders for fuel pumps.

Smack it so you won't dent it but it needs to be a good solid hit.

Saved me a bunch of money on my Trooper.

If it's already broken what's the risk? Your not going to hurt it...it's broken!

I've never done the Alcohol bit but everyone I know who has tried it, passed!