Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The time has come... bad RX

Yeah, I know, I've been saying this for awhile now but my RX is going back to the h3ll is came from. I have gotten myself another 3-door in mint shape and with the RX having a blown engine and lots of problems, its time to part ways with it. I have decided to scrap the RX in favor of the new found coupe. I'm going to be swapping my 5-lug and 5-speed into it eventually but for now, I'll pull off anything of value of the car and send it away. The new coupe is a much better platform to start with, that and it runs and drives;). The plans I have decided to do with the coupe are what I should have done to the RX in the beginning. It's going to stay a SPFI EA82 and an auto until I start having problems with it. Then, if the tranny starts acting funny, I'll swap my rear suspension and brakes from the RX, swap the tranny, clutch and the various pieces to go with it. Then, swap the front crossmember to finish the 5-lug in the front when I swap the rear. So after this point, it'll be a manual, FT4wd, rear LSD, stage 2 clutch, full 5-lug conversion, and install the bodykit. Then, after I move to Washington, I plan on doing an EJ20G swap into it and call it a day. So its sad to see the RX leave but I figure with the silver coupe, I'll be much better off. What do you guys think?

I think that if its a 3 speed auto it sucks, and it needs to be replaced with the fivespeed posthaste.

otherwise, sound planning. find a way to put a weber on the EJ and make it a high-comp, NA screamer with an absurdly loud exhaust:grin:

Nope, I'm downsizing and I can end up making this coupe a nice car. This is why I said I would wait for the tranny to have some issues before I went ahead and did the 5-speed conversion and 5-lug conversion. Until then, it'll be a FWD auto. That and this is a much cleaner car then my RX would be, even after sinking $10,000 into it. I'm already at $8,000 into it. Brat is going as well as the RX.

bodywise, the 2wd auto coupe is in mint condition, I mean I haven't seen hardly an EA82s in this kind of condition, period. The RX has some bodydamage, dings, dents, 3 different colors, blown engine and a bit of rust in the rear wheel arches and a couple spots on the driver side A-pillar.

I'm not saying the rust is bad at all. After doing a resto on a Mustang at work with some small rust issues, I'm not in the mood to deal with it. I'll see if I can hold onto the body but the doors are already sold off of it. My landlord is crawling up my backside right now over "too many cars":rolleyes:

I knew I saved those doors for a reason! Now my folks will stop laughing at me.

If we find a way to get the body up to Lander, I could probably talk my uncle into letting it sit till summer.

Any way you could leave the suspension under it so I could throw an engine and tranny in it and drive it home? I can bring doors, motor, tranny, across country, but suspension... Might not fit inside the wagon.

doors arn't hard to come by, you could *gasp* sell a camaro

don't kill me

Psh, I'd rather sell everything I own before I sold my Camaros. ONe was my first car that I bought and the other one, well, its a bit high on the value part, more so then the RX.

I knew I saved those doors for a reason! Now my folks will stop laughing at me.

If we find a way to get the body up to Lander, I could probably talk my uncle into letting it sit till summer.

Any way you could leave the suspension under it so I could throw an engine and tranny in it and drive it home? I can bring doors, motor, tranny, across country, but suspension... Might not fit inside the wagon.

Nope, no suspension. I don't have anything from it originally but my 5-lug conversion stuff is staying here. You can have the body but I'm taking what I want/need first. You can't beat for free. I just need the shell gone once I get my stuff from it. I'll be taking basically anything I might use for my new coupe or for spares, like the tailights.

is it the D/r trans? i need one because im going to attempt the 4.11 but just need a rx D/R trans. i have all the othert parts

yes it is a d/r tranny but no, no one can have it. Its going into my new coupe since its a 2wd auto. There will be major swappage when my tranny takes a poo poo:clap: