Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Toolkit for the Subaru-er from Brewer

I don't have much for tools, and it occurred to me - it was a question I asked when I got my first old soob in 1997:

"What tools do I need?"

So here is my list would love for someone to add to it for the ultimate old sube toolkit.

visegrips, large and small more than one of each is even better.

3/8 inch driver (socket wrench)

14mm deep, shallow, six and 12 point socket, and wrench

12mm like above

10mm like above

17mm like above

19mm wrench 6 point

for 1/2 inch driven stuff (socket wrench):

breaker bar

c/v nut (size? I have the 1/2 inch driven socket but forgot.)

crank pulley socket (again, I have it forgot size)

fork puller for tie rod ends, ball joints (never used one, but it is a good idea to have it)

philips and regular- big and small (#2 and #3 bit)

roof rack tools (move the rails around)

tire lug wrench

anything but an oem jack

22oz hammer- mastered to be big 22oz or dainty 22oz :grin:

large prybar

I honestly tore apart an entire sube and back together again with above tools at a minumum. I must be forgetting something.. help me put the ulimate lightweight, minumum toolkit together. :)

For wrenches and sockets any brand with lifetime guarantees is worth the extra dollars- Sears and Napa are very convenient as examples, they instantly give you a new version of what you broke if you bring it to them.

Rarely have i found that a 12 pt can do what a 6 pt can't, and you're much less likely to round a 6pt, but thats just me.

22 mm for the crank pully

36mm for the EA-series hub bolt

32mm for EJ hub bolt

I'd say for 1/4" drive, 8,10,12 mm

3/8th" 10,12,14,17

1/2" 14,17,19,21 I don't recall a specific 21mm, but there are a few on the car.

Most novices go too big too quick, when i'm working on the car i like to start with the smallest ratchet and work up, with a 12 mm i'll start with 1/4 inch, as you're less likely to break stuff.

Also, the bestest subaru tool ever is the 14mm ratcheting wrench, makes pulling a motor a breeze.

Also, you're gonna want 2 12mm wrenches, for the throttle cable at the very least, but i'm sure other things would require two.

Never used a pickle fork, just whaked the side with a hammer till she came loose.

Also, maybe the most important, PB-b'laster, infact, regular dunkings in PB have been known to keep old subarus from rusting, stalling, smoking, squeaking and burning oil.

The 1/4 ratchet is good for clamps that aren't oem-- I ended up using 3/8s for that too. I use an adapter for the 3/8ths to 1/4 and small extension.and its one less tool to lose (I lose the 1/4 ratchet nore than a 3/16th axle pin punch). Just seeing that on the end of a 3/8ths reminds me to go easy. and it goes to same places as the little one.

I did add the axle punch- I have used that on other things.

The 14mm ratchet wrench is very good idea. The 14's are everywhere!

After 20 years of tightened bolts, I try 6 point first if it means hammering the socket on.

Great posts thank you - good for everybody :)

For a lube stuff I don't have the pb but similar. I end up just snapping the tough stuff dry, as the head of the bolt/nut lubed and 3 days to wait for it to work seemed ineffective.

I can keep the whole toolbox at home now - tuck this stuff in a wrench type bag in the sides of the back of wagon.

I really like the 6-point sockets for use WHENEVER possible, but 12-points are an invaluable tool as well.

Anyone who hasn't formead an opinion yet needs to bear in mind the different properties of each.. the 12-point, you only need 30 degrees of motion for your wrench to turn (in tight spots, its easier) but the 6-point gives you more solid gripping surfaces on a tight, rusty, or beginning-to-round bolt.. and the 6 point is at almost ALL times less likely to round a bolt off than a 12-point.

Also I would like to add..

Electrical repair tools!!! diagonal cutters, wire strippers, crimpers, and crimp-on connections.. Just In Case!!!!

utility knife. ! Don't forget spare blades!

electrical butt connectors

carb cleaner for the water kills (if that is where I may be headed) - never use starter fluid. :confused:

I did have some strange encounters where normal tools aren't normal- even then it is something that just needs persuasion.a hack saw of some kind is something I forgot to mention. I always have one. A portable sawz all zzz ? That would be nice for the seemingly annual mid-summer muffler explosion :grin:

If going on a long trip, as if to be prepared for crossing the impossible-

jack stands

gas tank

fuel pump (if you have an original- it was one of only two break downs since 1997- timing belts was the other.) I also had rubber gas hose large and small (small was for cooling line near intake and vacuum).clamps to match.

I have 4 bright orange straps for things on the roof, can use as a flag on breakdowns and doubling/tripling the 1000lb limited small straps can hold the car.

Then theres the spare fluids... I go gallon size for coolant and oil.

okay.. pity, i cry Pity on us fools, O great and loquacious one, with your wit so sharp it might even suffice to pry out a sticky oil seal.....

Why was that funny? I have the feeling that the humour is rather in my vein, but the knowledge necessary for the joke to be conferred is simply lacking.

I almost rose to the bait and asked before you had to edit your post... and I got home tonight and saw it still sitting there, I googled his name, and found out hes an actor. (i figured that) What else is there?:-\

Why was that funny? I have the feeling that the humour is rather in my vein, but the knowledge necessary for the joke to be conferred is simply lacking.

I googled his name, and found out hes an actor. (i figured that) What else is there?:-\

Uh huh...an actor...

As in, the actor who plays MacGyver...As in, the coolest dude (right behind Chuck Norris) on the face of the planet...As in, that dude who should ride in your Subaru at all times...As in, that dude who could fix a leaky head gasket with six marbles and a sewing needle...As in, the dude who can pee on wheel bearings and they are silent. He is that good. That is why I included his name. That is why it's humorous.

(Yeah...I guess I am pretty loquacious...nice word by the way...thanks...)