Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HVAC 'repair'

so my HVAC control wasn't working. so I replaced it with one that used to work, and that didn't fix it. so I finally got around to tearing back into it today to see what the problem was, and found that it was just the switch. and by manually connecting the vaious vacuum lines, I could make it work.

So, I came to the conclusion that, since I don't have A/C anyway, I'll pretty much only be using the Heat/Defroster. so using a T-fitting, I 'jumped' it so it's always in this config (with both the Heat and Defrost selected). then cut out the entire switch, replacing it with a rocker switch for the on/off. and mounted it where the whole thing used to be. so now I just have the temp control, fan speed control, and an on/off switch.

here's the back of it in my living room:

PICT2219.jpg

and here's what it looks like in the car:

PICT2220.jpg

I used a piece of sandpaper to cover the extra holes, and removed the 2 white lights that backlight the depressed button, so the temp control is still backlit, but not the switch.

the switch itself is pretty messy, but it only took me a half hour or so, and cost me nothing.

AND, this means that the center vents won't be used.....I'm thinking that might be a perfect place for some gauges. or maybe cut it out, and mount a carputer screen in there.....

Incredibly messy, yet strangely effective.

You earn the "USMB Tractor Mechanic Of The Day" award :clap:

(it was a close race - you almost lost due to points deducted for the "repair" title - this is clearly a "modification", and worth at least 5 HP).

Personally, I like it, but some might say it needs more bailing wire and duct tape....

GD

Incredibly messy, yet strangely effective.

You earn the "USMB Tractor Mechanic Of The Day" award :clap:

(it was a close race - you almost lost due to points deducted for the "repair" title - this is clearly a "modification", and worth at least 5 HP).

Personally, I like it, but some might say it needs more bailing wire and duct tape....

GD

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I couldn't find a replacement for a reasonabe price (the junkyard here wants like $30!), and am tired of clearing the inside of my windsheild with my shirt sleeve....and having my toes freeze....so I had to fix it!

I'm the KING of pocketing at the u-pull's - I crammed an ECU down my pants last time.... :lol:. I threw two shift knobs and an EJ crank sensor on the counter and the guy said "wednesday afternoon special" and waved me out the door. No charge.

If only he knew :eek:

Seriously - our yards changed ownership, and they want a fortune for everything. They are digging their own hole - the more they charge (for admission, AND parts) the less we are willing to buy, so they have to charge more.... ad-infinitum.

GD

Seriously - our yards changed ownership, and they want a fortune for everything. They are digging their own hole - the more they charge (for admission, AND parts) the less we are willing to buy, so they have to charge more.... ad-infinitum.

GD

I hate the U pull its around here any more. They barely keep the cars separated in domestic and foreign anymore. They used to keep the cars by makes, now you can find a subaru next to a toyota with a VW on the other side. Now they added some environmental fee to your final price, so not only is every thing expensive, they are tacking a fee on just for buying anything. So I took an old jacket and made it so I can cram so much stuff in it yeah it's bad but I buy their over priced yearly pass and damn it this year they didn't even give me my hat.

Ok sorry for the hijack im done venting.