Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swaping trannys..how to hook up reverse lights

So when hocrest and I pulled the tranny from the junk car there was a wiring harness on the drivers side of the tranny with two wires going to it. We unplugged it and snagged it as well. Is this my reverse harness? Will it just plug in place of my auto one and give me reverse lights? Probably not huh?

Use an ohm meter and test for continuity of the two wires when the trans is put into reverse to tell if it is the reverse switch. You will likely need to clip off the connector and add wire lengths to bring the leads to the electrical connector by your shifter. You can figure out the appropriate two pins to connect to by either using the meter on the auto shift mechanism or a wiring diagram. You can solder the ends and jam them into the connector. Be careful routing your wires so that they don't interfere with the shift linkages.

So when hocrest and I pulled the tranny from the junk car there was a wiring harness on the drivers side of the tranny with two wires going to it. We unplugged it and snagged it as well. Is this my reverse harness? Will it just plug in place of my auto one and give me reverse lights? Probably not huh?

Your reverse harness is one of the plugs where the auto shifter was inside the car. It appears from my 83 FSM that you are looking for the Blue/white wire and the Green/yellow wire on the 4 prong inhibitor switch connector of the auto shifter for your reverse lights. Hook those to the reverse switch from the manual transmission and you should be in buisiness.

GD

Your reverse harness is one of the plugs where the auto shifter was inside the car. It appears from my 83 FSM that you are looking for the Blue/white wire and the Green/yellow wire on the 4 prong inhibitor switch connector of the auto shifter for your reverse lights. Hook those to the reverse switch from the manual transmission and you should be in buisiness.

GD

Thanks GD. Now is there any place that i should route the wires? Im thinking that up through that hole behind the shock tower on the drivers side where the main harness goes would be a good place to route the wire. I dont think i would want to route it through the shift hole. Or is there another hole that would be closer to it? Also is there something i have to hook up so that the car will think its in park or neutral to start it?

If *I* were doing it, in the intrest of making it easy, I would drill another hole (say 1/2") next to the big shifter hole, and run the wires through there with a common rubber "grommet" and some quality zip ties to keep the wire in check around all that moving metal. That way you don't have to cut into the big grommet behind the strut, and you use less wire, and don't have to route all behind the dash and stuff. Just my common-sense approach I guess.

GD