Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anyone replaced a windsheild?

I've got some pretty wicked cracks in my windsheild. It's only a little over 20 bucks to get a new one from the pull a part, but I've never pulled or installed one before. I have suction cups and I'll probably need a new gasket. Is there anything else I need to do the job, and how can I pull this off with out breaking the glass? I've never installed/pulled a windsheild from any car and was too nervous to try by myself last weekend. Tips and comments would be very helpful. Also, is there a way to save the gasket thats already on?

You have to cut the old one out with a utility knife.

You will need a new gasket, and they are getting hard to find - may be a dealer only item at this point as most glass shops will just "float" it in with hot liquid urethane.

You need straight chrome peices and lots of lube (FSM calls for kerosene) to get them in. The chrome trim bits apply the pressure that creates the seal for the gasket.

Basically you put the gasket on the windsheild, and thread a cord through the pinch-weld groove of the gasket - set the whole thing in place and pull the cord through into the cabin and it pulls the gasket over the weld. Lots of kerosene for lube, lots of swearing, etc. Then you insert the chrome expanders, and finally there is a special sealant you use around the outside of the gasket where it overlaps the body sheetmetal.

It's a heck of a lot easier to just have a shop float one in. Bring them the glass and it should be $50 or $75 or so to have them install it.

GD

To get a used gasket go to the yard find a Subaru with a cracked windshield at the yard and sit in the car with a friend and put your feet on the glass. Press pretty hard and the glass will either shatter (dangerous so wear eye gear and heavy duty boots minimum, or will just pop out. Gently peel the gasket out of the edge of the glass and move on to the next car.

That gets you a gasket.

Now get a utility knife and find yourself a car with a gorgeous windshield. Sit in the car and admire it for a few minutes with a friend. This will calm your nerves and make you slow down and make sure its PERFECT because you do not want to do this job again.

Peel all the chrome trim off the windshield gasket molding and then take your utility knife and cut gently in the middle of where the chrome used to be. Peel all the rubber you can off and you will see the edge of the glass. When you can see it all the way around gently lift the glass out.

Install using the cord method GD described.

I just did my hatch last week with lots of help from coworkers and my boss. Its a pain in the butt but the results are a safe car and a nicer looking car so its totally worth it.

Sounds pretty straight forward. I have a buddy who has used that string method on a couple small windows of his car, no windsheilds.

What is the sealent called that I place around the outside of the car? Where can I get it?

Is there anything I can do to recondition the gasket?

Sounds pretty straight forward. I have a buddy who has used that string method on a couple small windows of his car, no windsheilds.

What is the sealent called that I place around the outside of the car? Where can I get it?

checker sell it it comes in a roll as weard as that sounds , it's a tar like stuff, i appologise if this makes no sense i'm tired

checker sell it it comes in a roll as weard as that sounds , it's a tar like stuff, i

checker sell it it comes in a roll as weard as that sounds , it's a tar like stuff, i appologise if this makes no sense i'm tired

No - that's the stuff you use for EA82 windsheilds - they are glued in with that black tar rope gook. The sealant for the EA81's is completely different stuff as the EA81 has a full gasket instead of that goop.

GD

What you want is a tube of urethane sealant. Cut the tip of the nozzle off so you have a small hole, Put the tip in a vise and smash it flat. That will allow you to seal under the flap of the rubber after you put the shield in. If you try to put the urethane before the shield, you'll have a huge mess.

Windshield is nothing to get worked up over. I took one out in its 17th oem year (never been pulled) with a cable meant for removing windshields that cut right into the tough petrified stuff.Saw all temperature extremes prior to pulling. It even smoked the cable (it was that tough). After that is easy, get the stuff for your car. I also gooped it right in with ge sealant and permatex for reasons subaru claims does not happen. The same windshield pulled a year and half later with a broken hood cable removed from its sleeve easily. The newer urethanes are great, they toughen just a bit after the initial seal and tend to stay there. Once out get the surface of glass edges really smooth. I don't like using chemicals there, as windshields are laminated and if wrong chemical gets in between the layers, the windshield can be ruined. Soobs are easy in comparison to alot of cars, and the windshield is easy to carry, the smaller the laminated windshield the tougher, the olds soobs are some of the toughest. I have one stored in a closet in the house right now. :)

I've done around a hundred through the years, and unless you've done it several times, you're probably money ahead to have it done professionally.

I called around and the cheapest I could find to install one was just over $100. Considering thats about half of what I paid for the car I decided to just try myself. I'm a student with two cars and a bus pass. The soob was intended to be cheap...I stress cheap....transportation this winter. If it doesn't work I'll weigh my options then. I'm hoping to hit up the junkyard this week and I'll keep you guys posted with pictures. Thanks for all the advice.

On the ea81's they hold the unibody together- forgot all about it. :confused:

They don't. The EA82 windsheild IS part of the support structure of the roof, and does help to keep the thing rigid and together in an accident.

The EA81 windsheild does not hold the roof up - it is not glued in place at all, and will simply pop out in an accident. The A pillar of the EA81 has a solid steel rod in the center for support.

Cracks to the windsheild of an EA82 (like all newer cars) can be a safety hazzard as it weakens the overall uni-body structure. The EA81 could run with no windsheild if you really wanted as it's not part of the struture of the vehicle.

GD

+1 to that sentiment.

And for the reccord in case anyone in EA82 land is listening, they are completely different (and a lot easier! [in some ways :rolleyes:]).

GD

+2 i do these on a daily basis ( all types of vehicles ) if you don't have the proper tools id leave it to the pros, thatway you know it gets done right. that and you know it won't leak.