Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking coolant possibilties

I replaced the gasket and silconed it with water pump sealer along with the tube that goes into it, and my cars still leaking coolant. Its dripping down onto the exhaust, its just a drip....drip.... and it turns into a decent puddle in a few minutes. i cant figure it out, the weep hole on the top is bone dry and the pump has no play in the shaft. Im pretty sure i got the gasket on perfect. Any hoses in that area that could leak slow like that

Have you checked other stuff? Heater core hoses, intake gaskets, etc?

For the record I install all my water pumps with RTV only. I don't use a gasket because I almost always get used pumps due to the vast ocean of soobs I have to pull them from (I always seem to find the car that *just* had one replaced before it was wrecked). Thus I never have the gaskets handy.

GD

you know the front exhaust manifold/pipe? It runs right under the timing belts and all that

Yes it has that steel input line, i smothed it in that gasket RTV stuff to make sure it sealed, wich from what i can tell it is. What are these holes ur talkin about?? Like freeze plugs?

No - there are holes cast right into the heads - right near each of the spark plugs to drain water away from the plugs. They go all the way through the head from top to bottom.

GD

i under stand that there are holes cast into the heads, prospeeder answerd my question i don't have any turbo experance i forgot the uppipe goes infront of the engine under the oil pump

Because the coolant runs TROUGH the manifold - so if you have bad manifold gaskets, they can drain into the plug areas, and down through the drain holes directly onto the exhaust.

There's also a few throttle body coolant hoses in front of the manifold that could be leaking. They provide coolant to the throttle body to warm it.

GD

intake gaskets not leaking. I stareted it and the fan blew a bunch of coolant out and then it stopped, im not even losing coolant from what i can tell. could it be coolant in little areas getting nocked out when i start the motor and dripping down? cause alot of coolant went everywhere when i took the water pump off to do the seal. Im still looking like crazy for leak spots, but im finding nothing