Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What heads are these?

CHIM

Ok, my budy recently had a rear main bearing go out in his old motor, So we pulled the motor out of my camo brat, the one that had the dual carbs.

Anyway i was a bit shocked when i removed the exhuast from the brat motor.

My question is, what are these?

100_0807.jpg

Whats with the wall seperating the ports?

100_0808.jpg

Notice the shape of the port and the starnge stud offset?, the exhuast flange from the wagon don't fit these heads?

~CHIM~

What year is that engine or do you not know?

EA81 or EA71?

Two possibilities - either they are the older small valve heads use in pre-83 EA81's.

Or they are dual-carb heads with reversed valve oreintation. Basically the intake and exhaust valves are reversed like the EA82's all were. That would make it a JDM engine as we didn't get those here except as import engines. The heads and the cam are different being the valves are reversed. The JDM dual carb engine was 108 HP in stock form - did you notice if it had a butt-load of power?

All the EA81 heads have that wall, it's just up in there further on all the post-82 large valve's I happen to have here to look at right now. I don't have any small-valve heads to look at.

Was the power steering a retro-fit to the Brat?

GD

What year is that engine or do you not know?

EA81 or EA71?

Two possibilities - either they are the older small valve heads use in pre-83 EA81's.

Or they are dual-carb heads with reversed valve oreintation. Basically the intake and exhaust valves are reversed like the EA82's all were. That would make it a JDM engine as we didn't get those here except as import engines. The heads and the cam are different being the valves are reversed. The JDM dual carb engine was 108 HP in stock form - did you notice if it had a butt-load of power?

All the EA81 heads have that wall, it's just up in there further on all the post-82 large valve's I happen to have here to look at right now. I don't have any small-valve heads to look at.

Was the power steering a retro-fit to the Brat?

GD

yeh, when the dual carbs where still on it it had more power than my ported motor with the weber, not sure what year it came out of, yes it's an EA-81 1800, out of all the motor's/heads i have seen none looked like this.

~CHIM~

Those exhaust ports look just like my dual carb EA81's. You have a wicked motor there mate. Fix that stupid small exhaust. Put a single big weber or the dual carbs on it. And She'll fly. That said, I am putting a EJ22 in my car. But I won't be selling my EA81dc, thats for a later project.

They are rare in Australia too. I've only talked to 3 people on AUSubaru that have the engine. Plenty seem to have the manifolds. It's sad, many might have gone to the crusher with only the manifolds removed :(

Keep the engine, do it up, and it will rock. Mine is having trouble getting over 6.5K rpm at the moment, and needs a full rebuild. But it still woops an EA82 with a weber by far! :lol: