Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do When the Mark is Hit

Bucky is coming down the final stretch...he is 875 miles away from hitting the big 200k mark..I was thinking ..I want to do something special for the guy...not that 200k is amazing or anything new to these cars...but he still has original head gaskets.Plus he has been such a terrific dependable car and bestest friend. I am hoping to have a new sibling for him to fight with in the next few days (Andrew is the man xt6 xt6..Andrew is the man...eyes closed chanting)

This weekend Bucky is getting his good before it gets too cold wash and heavy waxing and touch up any developing rust...But what else can I do for him??? Maybe have a Party?;):brow: ..Newer tires..thanks to subeman90...ideas ideas

Bucky92-

When my Loyale hit 200k, I had the same sentiments. Like most of my girlfriends, however, she had to settle for new tires and the basics. A valve cover gasket here, a new radiator there. New head gaskets and rings just weren't in the cards for her. She's a simple girl married to a poor man, and she just had to keep one cylinder firing after the other. At 228K now and still firing on all four. Sad but true.

Bill

Yup poor Bucky was bought buy a poor gal..and I have been trying my hardest over the past 3+ years to do the best I can for him...I know he has taken care of me a few times.I remember the day I brought him home..156,000 miles axle clicking a rust hole through his rear hatch..dirty and on bald tires...missing 2 hub caps..busted up dash from a bad stereo install...Oh I loved him from the moment I laid eyes on him. I wish I had pics from when I first got him compaired to now...who would have ever thought then he would ever go to a subaru show and actually draw alittle attention.

I can't even imagine ever having to get rid of him and if something would happen to him I would be devistated.

So I am thinking maybe alittle party for wim..an oil change some fresh Seafoam,new NGKs That should keep my boy happy for awhile longer..and a new O2 sensor

So I am thinking maybe alittle party for wim..an oil change some fresh Seafoam,new NGKs That should keep my boy happy for awhile longer..and a new O2 sensor

A new O2 sensor! Wow, live large girl. Give him a sip of Seafoam for me wouldja? My loyale doesn't complain too much, but I've been running her on the original egr and purge solenoids and O2. She hardly complains at all, despite a little nausea everytime we start her up cold. I wish I could be as good a person as my Loyale thinks I am.

if you'd like another 100k i'd make sure the cooling system is golden. radiator, water pump, hoses, clamps, thermostat, radiator caps, coolant overflow hose, heater core hoses. one leak in the cooling system will entice those 20 year old headgaskets to finally give out. old gaskets and seals tolerate heat far less than new ones. then you have a much bigger problem.

good luck on the party.

In line with what gary said give ol Bucky one of those prestone radiator flushing kits. The one where you can attach a garden hose to your cooling system. That way you can flush your radiator anytime you want.

congrats on nearing 200k. It's also cool when you hit 222,222.22

BW

I have heard bad things about those plastic flushing kits. The fittings get old and tired, and disintegrate, spewing all your coolant all over the engine compartment and leading to a blown engine. Metal might be OK, but I haven't seen one in metal.

A better present for Bucky might be to just change all his fluids - coolant, gear oil, rear diff oil (if 4WD), brake fluid.

And when the coolant is drained, pop a coolant hose or 2 and back flush that way. It is not too much trouble to take every time the coolant is changed, as this only has to be done every couple of years, and besides, it is a good way to really examine the condition of the hoses at the same time.

Good luck!

Take a picture of the odometer. 199999 and 200000 and try to get the trip to say something funky, like 123.4 or something great right when it hits 200k.

I've done this for every car that has turned big numbers. I snapped 177777 on my turbo leg. Will be shooting 200k on it within the next year :eek: . Sitting on 193k and it will take a little bit to get there because it gets to sit, waiting for weekends and more track days in the spring. :headbang:

if you'd like another 100k i'd make sure the cooling system is golden. radiator, water pump, hoses, clamps, thermostat, radiator caps, coolant overflow hose, heater core hoses. one leak in the cooling system will entice those 20 year old headgaskets to finally give out. old gaskets and seals tolerate heat far less than new ones. then you have a much bigger problem.

good luck on the party.

What Grossgary and Sko say. See:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39838&highlight=drain+plugs

I have heard bad things about those plastic flushing kits. The fittings get old and tired, and disintegrate, spewing all your coolant all over the engine compartment and leading to a blown engine. Metal might be OK, but I haven't seen one in metal.

Robm-

My cheap Prestone T-fitting has worked well now for about four years. In other words, about two flushes worth. Pretty handy and probably worth it IMHO.

I haven't personally seen any problems with those plastic flushing kits. But an old mechanic I knew told me he had seen several engines destroyed by them. He warned me off buying one at a garage sale, and I took his advice.

Consider that 4 years is not a great deal of time in the lifespan of a Subaru, and some things aren't worth learning first hand. Another way to overheat an engine is one of them, in my view.

My friends Mercury Sable had one of those pastic things for flushing, it blew apart and nearly overheated the engine by spilling the coolant everywere

It'd be interesting to see the stats on blown engines from clogged up dysfunctional cooling systems vs. blown engines from exploding Prestone T fittings. My guess is that, on balance, the folks who just leave their stock setup alone and renew their coolant every couple years do just fine. I see your point, but I think these Prestone T's have been in the marketplace for decades without developing a track record for failure, so far as I know. I'll bet that when they do fail, it's often "operator error" - i.e. loose hose clamp connections and the like....

My guess is that, on balance, the folks who just leave their stock setup alone and renew their coolant every couple years do just fine.

+1. If you change your coolant at least bi-annually it *should* never need flushing. The anti-freeze has it's own anti-corrosion properties - it contains zinc and other ingredients to this end. Assuming the system is so bad it actually needs a flush, my experience has been that the heater core hoses should just be replaced as they are probably near failure anyway. $2 for 2' of 5/8" hose is cheaper than the silly flush kit with it's cheap plastic fittings.

Also - the subaru heater core's have both the inlet and the outlet on the same side of the core about 2" apart. Flushing them almost never does any good at all - it just forces crud further into the core.

GD