Ultimate Subaru Message Board

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-2000-Justy-Impreza-Forester-Outback-Repair-Manuals_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ119140QQihZ007QQitemZ170045050246QQrdZ1

Does anybody have any experience with cds like this? I recently bought a 99 OBW and was wanting to get a manual. I've tried Haynes and Chiltons but they don't seem to have all the info. The chiltons didn't have anything on the screw in pistons on the front brakes on my 90 loyale and it is pretty lacking in the electrical section.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-2000-Justy-Impreza-Forester-Outback-Repair-Manuals_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ119140QQihZ007QQitemZ170045050246QQrdZ1

Does anybody have any experience with cds like this? I recently bought a 99 OBW and was wanting to get a manual. I've tried Haynes and Chiltons but they don't seem to have all the info. The chiltons didn't have anything on the screw in pistons on the front brakes on my 90 loyale and it is pretty lacking in the electrical section.

Thanks

I bought one of these CDs from ebay; It seem to me to be a good value for the price. Lots of information and pictures, though it is probably not as comprehensive as good Haynes Manual, the information provided is very complete.

I looked at the eBay CD's but never ordered one. Somewhere on the techinfo site I recall being able to download the entire service manual pdf's for my vehicle or maybe it was on CD for $199 which I thought was not a bad value. I paid $50 less for a set of OE printed manuals on eBay.

I agree BushmasterSI, I would have preferred the CD(s) as well but I didn't know they were available until after I already bought the printed manuals. The printed manuals are nice but sometimes it is a little tricky to find things in them. I have alldata too and I find myself using that a lot because I can print it out and write on it and get it oily and stuff and then just reprint it and for Sub's anyway alldata appears to have the same images and text as the OE manuals.

Things I like about alldata: search function (but only works for parts or systems like 'oxygen sensor', doesn't work for things like 'valve cover bolt torque'). They do seem to keep the TSB's and manual corrections/additions up to date. The site is pretty fast and I've never gotten an error or anything like 'down for maintenance' (yet!).

I imagine their coverage varies by manufacturer and maybe even make, like if they can work out a deal to use the OE material. The Subaru images are not nearly as good a resolution as those in the OE manual but they are pretty good.

I did notice in a couple spots it shows pictures of the dohc engine but I have the sohc, I don't know how the OE manual corresponds. Also, the OE manual I think shows the VIN range it covers but I don't remember for sure if alldata had that listed.

All in all I think it's a pretty good value, it gives you convenient legal access to the material without a lot of initial cash outlay.

Where do you get them from? I looked at the subaru.com site (http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp) and it's not free.:rolleyes:

It seems kind of lame that subaru is charging for that information. I work for a company that produces power equipment, and we'd be laughed at if we tried charging for product fixes...

That'd be like Bill Gates charging for Windows security updates.

Seriously though, I saw a little blurb on that site that said something to the effect of "its not free for us to put stuff on here." Well its not free for me to fix some of the lame engineering i've run across over the years. Everything's fixed costs for them anyways. The servers are already running, bandwith already bought, html software already purchased, developers already on payroll, searching software already developed... For them to post some pdfs that already exist costs them an insignificant amount and would help their customers a lot.

They should at least have the diagnostic trouble codes on there, so that you can know that your gas cap is the thing making your CEL come on without having to take the car somewhere.:-\

That's the thing... they would rather not give you the information. They want you to take it somewhere to get it fixed, preferably a "Genuine Subaru-Approved Repair Facility, i.e the Dealer" to get it fixed...

matt