Ultimate Subaru Message Board

kerosene

I put 1/2 gallon of kero in a full tank of my 86 4x4 wagon and i noticed that i got better fuel milage, smoother running and more power.

Never heard of that. Try with & without a good few times, check MPG. The other stuff is probably hard to be objective about.

It might cause trouble for the cats.

I have been running stale gas in my oil burning (burning so bad it killed the cats) 90 SPFI for a while now. The really bad stuff I had to mix 50 / 50 with new gas. It seems the ECU can adjust for whatever different burn characteristics the fuel has.

Never heard of that. Try with & without a good few times, check MPG. The other stuff is probably hard to be objective about.

It might cause trouble for the cats.

I have been running stale gas in my oil burning (burning so bad it killed the cats) 90 SPFI for a while now. The really bad stuff I had to mix 50 / 50 with new gas. It seems the ECU can adjust for whatever different burn characteristics the fuel has.

Dave, I'm sorry to hear about your loss... had the cats been in the family for a while? it really is best to keep them out of the garage.... :brow:

I have been adding a shot-glass of acetone per full tank (3oz) and have noticed a decent bump in mileage (4-5 mpg or so), but that could also be explained by the plecebo effect, aka the "I-know-I-did-the-acetone-and-I-want-it-to-work-or-I'll-look-like-an-idiot-so-I'm-driving-nice-to-the-mileage-will-be-better-&-I-can-look-good" effect ...

Acetone may well be acting as a fuel system cleaner... Many otc gas treatments are basically mineral spirits, similar solvents. My grandfather used kerosene on the outside of the car, wiping the body and chrome down with a rag and kero after a wash, his cars always looked great but I don't think I'd try it with clear coat finish :brow: . Adding kerosene does reduce the volatility of fuel, so maybe it solves slightly premature combustion issues, certainly it has a hell of a lot less sulfur in it than diesel does. It also burns pretty darn clean compared to diesel... Still I'd really like to see some independent research on the effects. I'm still burning off a very old tank of gas in the wagon, soon it will be nice new gasoline and a new fuel filter... and no more of this elderly sta-bil laden chug juice. DW

Ha! Do you have any cats? No, not anymore... Actullay, the ones that passed hung around under the car.

Adding kero to diesel is done to prevent gelling. Been there, done that. (I have a diesel tractor) About 10:1 mix, not critical.

Mythbusters recently did a bunch of test of various "milage improvers", including acetone. They used gauges & meters to remove the subjective stuff. The addatives made no difference, some actually worstened milage.

Must be the way I have mine set up because putting 1/2 gallon of kero to 1 tank of gas smoothed my engine improved gas millage and allso got rid of my valve rap at high rpms. Would allso like to ad that i know the jets in the holley 5200 I put on are not just right because i get a dead spot at 3500 rpms right before secondary opens. After it opens i climb to 6500 rpms with no problem, with the kero that dead spot goes away and i have smooth climb all the way to 6800rpms when my valves float.

Adding kerosene does reduce the volatility of fuel, so maybe it solves slightly premature combustion issues,

yah good point... what octane do you normally run? if you run 87, have you ever considered simply running higher octane fuel? you could just have some pinging that a higher octane fuel would alleviate. i know i run 93 octane religiously, and i HATE having to pay for it.. NOT the "high octane" type of person, it pained me when i gave her half a tank and she ran so much better. however, once you find that your engine wants high test, its pretty hard to go back.

yah good point... what octane do you normally run? if you run 87, have you ever considered simply running higher octane fuel? you could just have some pinging that a higher octane fuel would alleviate. i know i run 93 octane religiously, and i HATE having to pay for it.. NOT the "high octane" type of person, it pained me when i gave her half a tank and she ran so much better. however, once you find that your engine wants high test, its pretty hard to go back.

i know that feeling my chevy blazer was spoiled by it's previouse owner

Mythbusters recently did a bunch of test of various "milage improvers", including acetone. They used gauges & meters to remove the subjective stuff. The addatives made no difference, some actually worstened milage.

I like watching mythbusters, but I haven't seen this episode of it (Australia is delayed in everything.) My question is, what car's did they try this on? New EFI, old EFI, newish carbed, old carbed? In a EFI system it may not help the mpg, as the ECU changes all sorts of things when the A/F ratio in the exhaust changes.

I haven't heard of using kero, but it does have a longer burn, which at low RPM might be advantages. But I'm just taking wild guesses.

I will say it again, I dont take any "fact" determined by the Mythbusters Scientific "Method" as conclusive. good show, yah.. but bad experimentation methods.

For the most part I disagree. Their tests are not performed in a lab, but then again neither is life. Life isn't a test tube, and very few things are perfect like a lab experiment. They do what is refered to as "emperical" testing which is very valid for everday type of things like testing mileage changes with fuel additives. If you think you can do better, go for it - maybe we'll see you on TV.

They used an 80's carbed vehicle for the tests.

And as far as additives are concerned, much like oil additives they are crap. If you are getting mileage increases from using kerosene, then your engine isn't tuned properly for gasoline.

GD

For the most part I disagree. Their tests are not performed in a lab, but then again neither is life. Life isn't a test tube, and very few things are perfect like a lab experiment. They do what is refered to as "emperical" testing which is very valid for everday type of things like testing mileage changes with fuel additives. If you think you can do better, go for it - maybe we'll see you on TV.

And as far as additives are concerned, much like oil additives they are crap. If you are getting mileage increases from using kerosene, then your engine isn't tuned properly for gasoline.

GD

not neccisarily true, i have noticed that my blazer gets better gas milage when i use lucas oil stabilizer in it, only by a mile or two per gallon but you can see a differance

not neccisarily true, i have noticed that my blazer gets better gas milage when i use lucas oil stabilizer in it, only by a mile or two per gallon but you can see a differance

At the extremely expensive cost of ruining your bearings in your engine when the lucas turns your oil into a milkshake, I'm sure it does help:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

GD

Is this all really worth it at $6 a gallon for kero?
kero here is only $200 a gallon and and i use it to heat the house so i allways have a large supply. and now using it i get 400 miles + a tank, thats 50 more miles then before. I could get better but i have a heavy foot and like to take off fast at stop lights.

GD

Thats the point my jets in the carb are off and dont feel like chaging them right now so i tried this and it seems to work well.