Ultimate Subaru Message Board

kerosene

For the most part I disagree. Their tests are not performed in a lab, but then again neither is life. Life isn't a test tube, and very few things are perfect like a lab experiment. They do what is refered to as "emperical" testing which is very valid for everday type of things like testing mileage changes with fuel additives. If you think you can do better, go for it - maybe we'll see you on TV.

GD

no, its not that they do not emulate laboratory conditions, it is simply that they do not control enough variables.. they arent pointing out all the things they are missing, but they make one assumption and never question it, and build upon that assumption rather than looking at a proper picture. They miss variables that need to be controlled, and they fail to vary their experiments through enough of a range of possibilities to draw results that could be called conclusive.. I am attempting to summarize the 15 or so holes I seem to isolate in each episode I see.. its about three times yelling at my television between each commercial break, anyhow..

its a great show, just not great source of primary information, thats all I am trying to say.

desertsubaru: what octane fuel do you use? low test or high?
I have used both and i get the same milage out of them 350 per tank. with kero 400+ miles per tank. Have allso noticed in town milege is better with kero. Most of my drive to work is highway and i get good milage at 75 mph but now with kero i get better in town milage. I think the in town milage is bad because my jets in the carb. I get a real bad dead spot at 3500 rpms and have to really get on it to make up for that dead spot so i use more fuel. With the kero i am smooth all the way up the rpm range

no, its not that they do not emulate laboratory conditions, it is simply that they do not control enough variables.. they arent pointing out all the things they are missing, but they make one assumption and never question it, and build upon that assumption rather than looking at a proper picture. They miss variables that need to be controlled, and they fail to vary their experiments through enough of a range of possibilities to draw results that could be called conclusive.. I am attempting to summarize the 15 or so holes I seem to isolate in each episode I see.. its about three times yelling at my television between each commercial break, anyhow..

its a great show, just not great source of primary information, thats all I am trying to say.

I agree with you on that. They did the myth that some drunk guy pored gas down a drain pipe to kill a racoon by lighting it on fire and it blew him out like a cannon, they said it couldnt happen. I live near where it happened it was in the newspapers and on the radio. They used a plastic pipe and a larger diameter then what the guy crawled into. He poured over 5 gallons of gas down a 24 inch concrete pipe that was at a 45% angle and it blew him 30 feet into the air into a snow bank. They used a 36 inch pipe and not as much gas, not to mention that the drain pipe hooked in to the sewer system so there would be other gas in there to:eek:

OK, cool.. I was curious because someone in an earlier post had theorized that maybe the kerosene was helping solve a detonation problem.. high test should have a similar result. I hadn't noticed you said you had to re-jet the carb. I just know that alot of these EA-82s do like their high octane.. it may be an FI thing, I'm not sure.. BUT, I wanted to make sure you werent being stubborn about it like I had been :grin:

btw kerosene heaters rock

OK, cool.. I was curious because someone in an earlier post had theorized that maybe the kerosene was helping solve a detonation problem.. high test should have a similar result. I hadn't noticed you said you had to re-jet the carb. I just know that alot of these EA-82s do like their high octane.. it may be an FI thing, I'm not sure.. BUT, I wanted to make sure you werent being stubborn about it like I had been :grin:

btw kerosene heaters rock

Um how much heat do you need in florida?:D Its about 30 f up here now:eek:

i lived in a 100 yr old wooden farmhouse in the mountains in NC when i was a little boy.. we had two functioning wood fireplaces, and six that were boarded up... one of the unused ones got a huge central kerosene heater installed, and we had that plus two space heaters, plus a 300 gallon tank that we had filled, and that was our only source of heat.. I know cold, my old man took the family up to Cold to get away from the DEvelopment down here and we had to run back to Paradise.. you can have your cold. I just have fond memories of kerosene heaters, thats all. I am just now turning off my AC and opening the windows in my house. i LOVE it!:headbang:

seafoam is kerosene, just a lower qualtiy not as strong

you got backup of that? anyone care to chime in? that would be interesting to know for certain...

I hate to doubt your word, but it WAS a rather brief statement... where did you hear this?

you got backup of that? anyone care to chime in? that would be interesting to know for certain...

I hate to doubt your word, but it WAS a rather brief statement... where did you hear this?

cant remember. vwvortex fourms i belive, ill look into it further and let you know

I've never used seafoam.. But I can tell ya I doubt it's "just" kero. It probably smells a lot like kero, but what doesn't. And because the product isn't eatable, they don't have to tell you wants in it. Secrets everywhere.[/quote

My guess is kerosene-acetone-alochol mixed....bought some berrymans B-12 injector cleaner and it reeked of acetone. cheers

I just wanna add here for information, this: (Maybe it can Help)

People at my country, Always use Kerosene in their Diesel Trucks, not in Gasoline cars... They claim that one Kerosene Gallon per every ten Diesel Gallons in a Tank, help maintain their Diesel Pump / Injectors Clean, and Diesel engines run Smoother.

Also, I wanna share this related experience with you: in 1996 here was a little Gasoline lack in the Country, so I was runnin` almost out of Gas and I needed to do a 70 Miles trip in my EA82 Subie.

I went from one to another Gas station, searchin` for Gasoline... after three ones, I found in one, My EA82 was with the Gas Indicator lower than the "E"... I asked the sales boy, to fill up my Tank, while I went to the Bathroom, and to the mini mart to shop some snacks for the Trip.

Then I came back, pay the gas and Go... after 9 miles my subie started to loose power very fast, also a very inmense cloud of Smoke came from the Exhaust, and the engine want to shut off itself... Then I realize that the Sales boy did Fill up the Tank with Just Diesel! :eek:

I just did stop the car in a Downhill, then I adjusted the Mixture screw of the Hitachi carb. that was there (Now Weber) to full open, and the Ralenti Screw to maximum, to prevent engine shut Down, `cos I can`t stop in the middle of the Road with my Family in the Car... Removed the Air filter Too and Gone!

Yes, my EA82 did 70 Miles just with Diesel... I Swear it.

It was a very slow ride, not above of 30 MPH and in 2nd or 3rd Gears... The engine was Extremly Hot, Near the redline... but it Survives.

Then, next day I removed the Gas Tank and Clean washed it, also Fuel lines, and Change the Spark Plugs, and Refill it with Gasoline... and the EA82 was Ready for another Adventure!

Diesel did not much Damage, but it`s lower Octane and Oily Characteristics, did make the Engine Hot and very very weak, but it Did it and Survive.

Diesel are almost like Kerosene in some ways... but I do Not suggest to Use it in a Gasoline Engine.

When I have the time, I listen to the "NAPA Auto Care Show" on radio station KHOW out of Denver, Colorado on Saturday mornings which is hosted by ASE certified mechanics . They regularly recommend doing a "motor flush" to remove carbon deposits in injectors and combustion chambers. They say this process costs between $100 and $200 depending on the shop doing it and takes several hours to do. They have also said if you want to do it yourself, just add one quart of #2 diesel fuel to 20 gallons of gasoline and drive this blend for 1000 miles. I ran this blend in two of my vehicles for 1000 miles and they ran excellent the entire time. I could not tell any difference in performance or gas milage. After the 1000 mile clean up I couldn’t tell any difference in economy or performance. Evidently my vehicles didn’t have any excess carbon deposits but it didn’t hurt anything either.