Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable ???

Okay so I'm going forward with the XT turbo 2wd 5 speed into my XT6. Got everything on the way aside from a starter and clutch cable. Starter is just a M/T starter for any of the ea-82s right? In fact I can reuse my just remaned one with a M/T front right?

As for the clutch cable this is a little more confusing. Tranny is out of an 86 XT 2wd turbo. I can't seem to find consistant listings for cables. Some manufactures lump all the non-turbos and turbos together, others split 'em apart etc. Just trying to get the cheapest one I can at the moment!

Call up the guys at www.subaruparts.com

They are a dealership in WA, and will get you what you need. They have excelent prices, and I've dealt with them before. Very good service. Don't be fooled by the fancy web site and such - it's just a dealership in Tacoma WA.

Also - that VIN thing is weird. My local dealership (Lithia Subaru in Oregon City) gives me wholesale on everything, and has never asked for a VIN, just model and year.

GD

Thanks for the no help. I know someone out there has a better answer then get it from the dealer. My 17 month old could've told me that one. Obviously I'd prefer not to deal with my local dealer or have something shipped that will cost as much to ship as to buy.

Aftermarket clutch cables suck. Period. End of story. The OEM cables are excelent quality, and besides that, cheap. I've had at least 3 aftermarket units crap out on me, and since being replace with OEM I've never had a problem with any of them.

Shipping shouldn't be any more from a proper dealer than it is from a web site. Some dealers do have minimum order requirements, but I'm sure you can think of some other stuff to buy.

The problem with sugesting what cable you need is that the 2WD 5 speed tranny probably needs a longer cable due to it being a hold-over transmission from the EA81 days. The clutch fork is farther to the passenger side so a normal EA82 5 speed cable will be too short, and the EA81 cable won't have the right pedal end on it. So to avoid complete and utter confusion and to prevent you from aquireing the wrong cable, or a crappy aftermarket unit, I sugested the dealer. It IS without a doubt, your best option.

If they want a VIN, start a thread and explain your situation, and ask if someone would be willing to supply your with their VIN in a PM so that you might deal with your unruly dealership. You'll just have to play the game if you want the correct, quality parts.

GD

1. It isn't a carry -over from the EA81 as its a 25 spline larger shaft tranny like the 4wds. Only the non-turbos were carryovers

2. The tranny is on a shelf. The vin on my reg is for an 88 XT6 fwd auto.

3. According to my part number its a discontinued part

4. I've never had a non-subaru clutch cable break. Only Subaru cables have broken on me.

this sounds like the thread this guy started about what clutch to use in an xt-6 AUTO to MANUEL conversion, despite common sense and much experance he was to hard headed to listen

Hmmm. I still know it would work and work just fine. I just don't have any Impreza fwd 5 speed axles to use otherwise I would've already done it as no one provided any experience that it won't. I didn't say it will be the strongest set up but that isn't what I asked there now was it that is if you actually read and comprehended what I was asking? Remember, I'm also one of the owners of the fasted stock engined 1/4 mile SVX that isn't juiced at 14.2 in the quarter but its built with things that we were told wouldn't work either.:clap:

1. It isn't a carry -over from the EA81 as its a 25 spline larger shaft tranny like the 4wds. Only the non-turbos were carryovers

Stubs are removable. Is it possible that's the only difference? If the fork is to the drivers side then it's a plain old 5 speed 4WD cable. If it's the passenger side it's special. What does the clutch release bearing look like? Is it a two peice or a single peice unit?

3. According to my part number its a discontinued part

If that's true, then it quite possibly is a strange cable with the EA81 passenger side fork and the EA82 pedal side. If this is the case, you will probably have to swap an EA81 pedal assembly and use an EA81 cable.

4. I've never had a non-subaru clutch cable break. Only Subaru cables have broken on me.

That's bizzare. I've broken NAPA cables, Autozone cables, and one that was just "japan". Never has an OEM cable failed on me with the exception of the high mileage ones I replaced when I aquired a couple of my rigs.

GD

Stubs are removable. Is it possible that's the only difference? If the fork is to the drivers side then it's a plain old 5 speed 4WD cable. If it's the passenger side it's special. What does the clutch release bearing look like? Is it a two peice or a single peice unit?

If that's true, then it quite possibly is a strange cable with the EA81 passenger side fork and the EA82 pedal side. If this is the case, you will probably have to swap an EA81 pedal assembly and use an EA81 cable.

That's bizzare. I've broken NAPA cables, Autozone cables, and one that was just "japan". Never has an OEM cable failed on me with the exception of the high mileage ones I replaced when I aquired a couple of my rigs.

GD

The inpute shafts are different as well. I've also been told the stubs aren't the same as well. I don't have the tranny yet which is why I'm posting here looking for the differences and what will work.

Try www.XT6.net

Lots of XT owners over there, and people that have parted out XT's for their 6's.... probably more knowledge than here.

That's strange about the cables - maybe they are longer because of the different body shape.

GD

They shouldn't be any different as the tranny is in the same place in relation to the pedal.

now i see that youre not a fan of dealers, but CVM always does me good when im ordering parts. you dont need a vin number, and the guys at the parts counter have been working there for a while, so they know older soobs.

now i see that youre not a fan of dealers, but CVM always does me good when im ordering parts. you dont need a vin number, and the guys at the parts counter have been working there for a while, so they know older soobs.

I've known Ben at CVM for 15 years. Can't get a part that is discontinued though.