Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which yellowtops work?

already started a battery thread but has been kind of hijacked....just simply need to know which optima batteries work with my vehicle, its an 87 subaru gl wagon, carbed, ea82 no ac. It shows on their website the redtops that work but cant find a guide anywhere on the yellowtops. Need to know asap so I can get one on its way.

already started a battery thread but has been kind of hijacked....just simply need to know which optima batteries work with my vehicle, its an 87 subaru gl wagon, carbed, ea82 no ac. It shows on their website the redtops that work but cant find a guide anywhere on the yellowtops. Need to know asap so I can get one on its way.

Hi BlindSight,

Keep in mind there are at least two sizes of batteries for these cars. A Car with AC takes a physically bigger and heavier battery. If you don't need the big one pass on it. Less weight and expense is a good thing.

HTH

Doug

i have never really been too worried about having the "right" battery for my car, as long as its big enough and physically fits in the spot. I guess if you are ordering it online its one thing, but the series IDs should be the same from one model of battery to the next... its sorta like tires, the way they are numbered... but I can't give you any more detail than that, my knowledge is a bit fuzzy

Dude, First off unless you are running tons of lights and additional accessories ie, winch, speakers, you dont need a yellow top. They are for deep cycle only it wont give you any more performance then a red top. I am in the military and we only use red tops even in some of the biggest vehicles. Yellow is more expensive and heavier to do the same job as a smaller red top.

Red not Yellow

well I do have a pretty huge system...and do have 4 offroad lights...thats why I opted for the optima yellowtop....but don't have ac.

The bigger alternator hack vs the battery gets my vote for several reasons. I think of the battery in a sube just for the starter. Battery too big does stuff- alternator big has engine fans, car moving, engine running, kills off some of the invisible. I haven't had good luck,large battery. If it fits in the oem battery holder, it is big enough. I would like to try out the bigger alternator route for large amps, lights, etc. I am not sure how big you are intending, but I have learned the hard way (it all starts with the starter....) that there is an extreme battery if it is too big. :)

well I do have a pretty huge system...and do have 4 offroad lights...thats why I opted for the optima yellowtop....but don't have ac.
if your gonna be running the sound system with the car off you want a yellow top as the red top won't last as long before you will be unable to start your car