Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternatives to the Select Monitor?

Are there any reasonable alternatives to the Select Monitor? To me it just looks like a rugedized laptop with some custom software and some sort of cable to connect to the diagnostic port and of course the setup ain't cheap, like I'm guessing $5k. Specifically I'm wondering if one could just buy the interface cable and some 3rd party software and use it with your own computer.

Wow I guess if I ever run into a repair that requires the SSM III I'll probably just buy a new Suby! Well at least it'd be a big hit at a dinner party with all it's jokes! A funny thing happened to me the other day while I was diagnosing, I told the technician to press any key, but he couldn't find the 'any' key, and then he broke my coffee cup holder.

It might even wash your socks! Seriously, it is way faster than the SSM II but it's a real PITA to deal with. Full day class at SNE also. Luckily I don't have to worry about borrowing it as I work for Subaru. If you need to blast out CELs, any of the cheapies will probably work. I used the SSM III to troubleshoot an 05 Impreza that had a mechanical overrev and tagged an exhaust valve.

90-94 2.2 legacy cars.....

you can use something called B10Scan. Google that and Subaru together and you ought to come up with it. On top of that you need to take a printer parallel cable, modify 3-4 wires and crimp them into a legacy stereo male plug according to the B10 instructions. Its free (software) and if you have a cars wiring harness lying around you can get a plug off it instead of the radio plug (free again). I bought a 20 dollar laptop off craigslist just for running the B10 but any laptop (PC type) will boot off the CD pretty much and work.

95 and up use OBDII scanner. Harbor freight sells a $35 one that will get you the code number and from there you can compare it to the FSM list....splurge for the $100-300 scanner and you can get fuel injector %'s, O2 sensor info, etc as well.

I have an OBD II adapter and software that I use with a PC (laptop or desktop), it's pretty slick. They are available from a number of sources. The adapter and software didn't cost more than a good scanner. The PC can be expensive, of course, bit since I already have a lot computers in my house, it wasn't a problem.

From reading the factory service manual for my Outback, I got the impression that Select Monitor does a lot more than OBD II scanners. OBD II is a standard that all manufacturers must comply with, but nothing stops them from going beyond that with proprietary software and interfaces.

Speaking of OBD2 readers. I now have a post 96 vehicle and can use an OBD2 reader. I'm interested in knowing the extra data available via OBD2 besides just the codes.

What are some of the different scan tools/software out there that people have used and like?

TIA

Josh

Josh, I have the following since 2001 and use it on many neighborhood cars/vans I help take care of. Not only does it give you the code, but also Freeze frame data. And for really tough to diagnose problems, you can read up to 4 sensors simultaneously.

http://obddiagnostics.com/

I use it with an older laptop I have that I power from the accessory socket sometimes as I have to drive the vehicle. It has helped greatly diagnose slow oxygen sensors. And the latest software also allows you to see real-time MPG. Subaru's use ISO-9141 protocol.

It was $49 when I bought it, now I see it's $83 for the BR-3 model. Best investment I've made. And when I absolutely need a CAN bus reader, I'll go back here for that also.

End of MY $.02