Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My mom got impatient and decided to remove the bug deflector off the front of the Legacy we just bought. Didn't like it, so she tried pulling it off. She coulda lifted the hood, it was unlatched, and seen the two big phillips screws holding it on, but no, so now it's cracked. The two cracks run towards each other, one from each side. I'd like to save the bug shield. If I drill holes to terminate the cracks, what glue should I use to seal the cracks back together? I think it's ABS plastic, I dunno, its smoked plastic.

Identicle to this: legwaghooddeflector.jpg

I believe that the air deflector is made out of acrylic plastic, and can be glued using an acrylic plastic glue that is very watery. Home and industrial glass companies (those local companies that can custom cut you a mirror for your bathroom, or cut and bevel edge a glass top for your coffee table) also work a great deal with acrylic to make pamphlet holders and signs. I'd take it to one of them and see if they wouldn't put a bead of glue on the inside of each crack so that it doesn't show. The nice thing about the glue is that its almost instantaneous. It shouldn't cost you much, and most likely they'll have an employee do it for free, for all of the time it'll take. Good Luck!

I had a problem with mine (97 Legacy) driving in the South Dakota "breeze" - the sides "flopped" against the paint (had the little tape thingies on) 'cause the plastic clips kept slipping off the hood. Bought some small (4-48) screws and a tap and screwed the clips to the hood. No more flopping.