Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NGK Plugs...

Went into local supply shop, asked for plugs for my 88, dl, wagon, EA-82, non-turbo, clerk said out of one kind, (NGK-6261) but have the other which will work...

I took out: Autolite 63, covered in white carbon

Store was out of: NGK 6261 :-\

Clerk said these will work: NGK 7133 (BPR6ES-11) :confused:

They were like $2. a piece and needed them so put them in.

Whats the dif, and story with these plugs?

Reply: #1, Excellent info Northwet, I will print and paste that inside the Chiltons, I did have too gap. Set at .40, Sube running better and now I know.

am curious about the white carbon... kind of thick and plugs arn't that old... well... since spring anyway or was that last fall...?

Same plug, except the BPR6EY uses a v-groove in the side electrode. No real biggie either way.

What you want is for the "BPR6E" portion to be there: The "B" is the spark plug thread diameter, the "P" is the projected tip, The "R" is resistor, and the "6" is the heat range. (I can't remember what the "E" stands for... want to say "extended electrode" but that doesn't make much sense witht the "P" designation.) The "S" is standard electrodes, the "Y" is for v-groove; "IX" for iridium IX electrode, "GP" for "G-Power" (???) platinum electrode.

The "-11" is just the multi-plug packaging.

Ed, I am pretty sure that the individual plug boxes do not say -11, that it is only on the 4-pack. CSK lists the "...S-11" as needing gapping, whereas the "...Y-11" is pregapped. CSK site, though, so grain of salt or two. ;)

Daeron, some things do come with walking the earth a while :grin:: I have been using NGKs since the early 70's. My Hondas (2-wheelers) used "D" series (cute little plugs), learned about heat ranges tuning a Triumph (4-wheeler). Tried Champion when they tried to copy the "copper-core" (plugs lasted 2k in my dime before insulator broke down). Tried Bosch Platinums... they lasted about 3k before the center electrode eroded to the insulator. I'm not much of a parts-snob, but NGK and NDs are the only plugs that I think are worth my messing with.

Daeron, some things do come with walking the earth a while :grin:: I have been using NGKs since the early 70's. My Hondas (2-wheelers) used "D" series (cute little plugs), learned about heat ranges tuning a Triumph (4-wheeler). Tried Champion when they tried to copy the "copper-core" (plugs lasted 2k in my dime before insulator broke down). Tried Bosch Platinums... they lasted about 3k before the center electrode eroded to the insulator. I'm not much of a parts-snob, but NGK and NDs are the only plugs that I think are worth my messing with.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.. I have had flawless performance from them, and never used anything else. I have known too many people with too many miles swearing BY NGK, with stories just like your own, to do otherwise.. I was just curious if you knew of a link somewhere with a breakdown of what character indicates what characteristic, thats all. A key, of sorts, to the designation codes... Knowledge like that is good to have, and I am trying to winnow it out the slow way.. but I like to ask questions along the way :grin:

Went into local supply shop, asked for plugs for my 88, dl, wagon, EA-82, non-turbo, clerk said out of one kind, (NGK-6261) but have the other which will work...

I took out: Autolite 63, covered in white carbon

Store was out of: NGK 6261 :-\

Clerk said these will work: NGK 7133 (BPR6ES-11) :confused:

They were like $2. a piece and needed them so put them in.

Whats the dif, and story with these plugs?

Reply: #1, Excellent info Northwet, I will print and past that inside the Chiltons, I did have too gap. Set at .40, Sube running better and now I know.

am curious about the white carbon... kind of thick and plugs arn't that old... well... since spring anyway or was that last fall...?

This is great info...since I promised Bucky NGKs in 700+ more miles. His plugs are always covered in the white carbon...especially from cylinder 3..I change them at least once a year..sometimes twice if I notice too much misfire or gas mileage drop.

I have to agree with northwet on why we both use NGKs. In 40+ years of using them (on BMW, Datsun, Mazda and now Subaru), I've never had to change one because the car was running "funny." I install them and forget about them and 30K or more miles later I think it might be time to change them. Even after all those miles the car still seems to run okay but I change them since I know they can't last forever.

I have to agree with northwet on why we both use NGKs. In 40+ years of using them (on BMW, Datsun, Mazda and now Subaru), I've never had to change one because the car was running "funny." I install them and forget about them and 30K or more miles later I think it might be time to change them. Even after all those miles the car still seems to run okay but I change them since I know they can't last forever.

Ive logged at least 200K miles driving in the seven years since I got my license. maybe more. I have been my fathers primary assistant in maintaining, repairing, restoring, ALL the family vehicles since I was 12. Everything (except the For E-150, the chevy blazer, and the Mercury sable) got NGKs. Same reason. All those miles, never a thought about a "bad plug." Just occassionally thinking, "Gee, thirty thousand again? Probably should change those plugs..." I may not have had as many pages pass thru my fingers yet, but ive been paying attention as long as I can remember... I just hope that nothing changes. I want to be forty, fifty, sixty years old and saying the same thing still.. too many other brands have turned into crap.. can you say, black & decker, anyone?

I never change plugs. I clean them with a points file, regap them and throw them back in. Back in the day when plugs were expensive the old timers had plug cleaners that used compressed air and sand to clean them up. We still had a cleaner in our tool truck at my national guard unit up till a few years ago when it got thrown out.

GD

• Like 1

yah, ive got one of those spark plug cleaners, too.. any detriment in using a wire wheel on a bench grinder??? Thats my typical mode of "cleaning" a spark plug to re-use it... I'm not super crazy or anything, and I have yet to experience a broken insulator. Besides, I am not so retentive with keeping them for 100K miles...

So... Which NGK plug is Better for a EA82? the BPR6EY-11 with the "Y" electrode, or the regular one?

On this 21+ years of owning (was my dad's First) my EA82 Wagon, I have used a lot of Spark Plugs, From NGK, to ND, to Champion, Bosch, Beru, Etc... but the NGK gives me better Performance, but I never used the "Y" version of `em... so, Any experience with them will be Welcome!

Thanx! :)