Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Let's not forget the "Check Engine Light." You don't hear people requesting advice because their CML is on!

There's something about referring to it as a "motor" which is endearingly blue collar... think of the classic Blues Brothers dialogue "It's got a cop motor/ cop shocks and no catalytic converter so it'll run good on regular gas." (I think I have that more or less correct...)

Nathan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an auto, that's why you lost.

NO! That is not why!

Gearing, power to weight ratio's, aerodynamics... Besides, unless you know the owner of the civic it could have been swapped. Most swaps happen to civics(sleepers).

Street racing is not only dangerous, it is flat out stupid. The fines and sentences have gotten so high and expensive that it usually isn't worth it.

ya same thing, in my opinion a auto should be better, it can shift way quicker then u can. I find gear ratio would be the issue here.

I'm pretty sure that with a quick hand, and maybe even a short shifter kit if you are lucky, it is pretty easy to shift faster than the automatics. And that isn't even taking into account the difference in starting from a complete stop.

I'm pretty sure that with a quick hand, and maybe even a short shifter kit if you are lucky, it is pretty easy to shift faster than the automatics. And that isn't even taking into account the difference in starting from a complete stop.
Exactly. Autos are slow.

I know weight and all that stuff played into it, but Auto's are slow.

And street racing is wrong. Period. I mention the SVX forum again.

Exactly. Autos are slow.

I know weight and all that stuff played into it, but Auto's are slow.

And street racing is wrong. Period. I mention the SVX forum again.

Maybe you can lend something besides your opinion to this arguement. 1/4 milers have been using the 2 sp powerglide trans for years to set records. How does that work if they are so slow?!?

Auto's are programmed to shift at a set point everytime. They will never miss a shift. They will always shift when they are supposed to. Read this as shifting in the powerband and staying in the same powerband.

I've been in and around racing all my life. So, you'll need to bring more than... they're just slow to the table.

Maybe you can lend something besides your opinion to this arguement. 1/4 milers have been using the 2 sp powerglide trans for years to set records. How does that work if they are so slow?!?

Auto's are programmed to shift at a set point everytime. They will never miss a shift. They will always shift when they are supposed to. Read this as shifting in the powerband and staying in the same powerband.

I've been in and around racing all my life. So, you'll need to bring more than... they're just slow to the table.

All right. Stock TCU on 90-94 transmissions will shift at 6500 if in power mode. However, the torque band and max HP cut way before that (4400 and 5600 RPM respectively). So, how is that correct logic?

Besides, get a dogbox and some skill and you'll be just as fast as an auto.

All right. Stock TCU on 90-94 transmissions will shift at 6500 if in power mode. However, the torque band and max HP cut way before that (4400 and 5600 RPM respectively). So, how is that correct logic?

Besides, get a dogbox and some skill and you'll be just as fast as an auto.

So, are you saying they are slow or fast? For the record, I don't run auto's. I will match my skill in shifting and driving against you any time. I hope you can handle second place!

So, are you saying they are slow or fast? For the record, I don't run auto's. I will match my skill in shifting and driving against you any time. I hope you can handle second place!

you know what, when the power light comes on it feels quicker for some odd reason, but when it doesnt come on, it doesnt seem as quick or smooth should i say. I still think the 4EAT shifts ok,but about the powerband thing, i dont know, rpm's are rpm's. But its weird, when u floor it, or should i say when i used to floor it, it would like pull me then go to 2nd, like at the splint second before shifting, it felt like it pulled harder for a bit, then shift.

In terms of shift speed? Fast. In terms of race speed? Slow. But, a dogbox shift is almost as fast as an Auto shift, and has the brain of a human behind it, not the retard logic of a TCU.

Ask anyone who builds transmissions, MT's are faster than Auto's if driven correctly. Phil (BAC5.2) on the bbs had a dogbox in his old ABM SS...that thing flew.

The thing your missing is that TCU's can be fully progammable and made to do whatever the programmer wants. I prefer to shift on my own but the auto is just as good in straight 1/4 mle racing. The manual is better IMHO in rally or road track type racing.

Umm. No. 165 HP is bhp, or hp at the crank. It's certainly not that at the wheels. You have AWD and an auto, that's why you got smoked. You also have a car that weighs much more than the civic. Subarus aren't fast in straight lines without a lot of modding so.....

Right he is...

I think those cars make something like 110 hp at the wheels in stock form...I could be wrong, though.

And street racing is wrong. Period.

I'm sorry, but that post was just silly...If people want to break the law...let them. The cops will get 'em eventually. Your goofy statements like this are not going to frighten them into submission or give them an instant reasonable, intelligent brain to work with.

Come on, man...

(sorry for the hijack...)

Most Subaru MT versions are faster than the automatic versions, all theoretical advantages aside.

My H6 (250 hp rating - 243 for 2007) has roughly 175 hp at the wheels. According to the dyno operator, most 2.5 turbos have more like 200 hp at the wheels.

A number like 100-110 whp for a N/A 2.5 would not be surprising. The dyno operator (TDC Tuning in Concord, NH) has never done one so he didn't know.