Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for EVEN MORE power!

Well its time for yet again another rebuild and upgrade!!! woohoo :

Brand New SOA Shortblock Assembly :

608b830bb995.jpg?_rh=41wt5mvugzunfox9nbhuacix6

1616e837d50b.jpg?_rh=eo04seubyxrms00pb30g1k3qsp

6d538a4a0cc2.jpg?_rh=cwci9g4eyglc8mkt6hx1wm064

When it comes to power I'm never happy LOL!

New list of goodies to go in this weekend :

IHI VF-39 Turbo (STI)

HKS Catless 3-inch Downpipe

SOA Brand New Shortblock Assembly

This should give me a nice boost in power :grin:

I can't wait to feel her pull :eek:

Stay tuned.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i pulled a head off a 196,000 mile motor i had that ran awesome, pulled it out of a rusted to death XT6. the head was spotless, not a speck of black build up inside (plenty of leaking on the outside). head gaskets were never replaced.

I just flushed a 20 year old ea82, and a very good way to verify the goop is gone is at the base of the oil filter with filter off of course, the condition of that area tells all. Mine was glowing shiny after one engine clean with its instructions. It really takes two ingredients that I can think of to build an old fashioned crud: bad oil and high temps- and of course whatever may be causing these 2 things.

I just slobbered over the new block ..:slobber: Could an old one ever get that shiny ? :rolleyes:

My searches on ebay bring stupid replies... I am glad these items exist.

I just flushed a 20 year old ea82, and a very good way to verify the goop is gone is at the base of the oil filter with filter off of course, the condition of that area tells all. Mine was glowing shiny after one engine clean with its instructions. It really takes two ingredients that I can think of to build an old fashioned crud: bad oil and high temps- and of course whatever may be causing these 2 things.

I just slobbered over the new block ..:slobber: Could an old one ever get that shiny ? :rolleyes:

hijack

just soak it in a parts cleaner for a couple of hours.

Here is a pic of an EA81. not as clean as brand new but still plenty shiny. Poor man's parts washer is a metal tub w/behr concrete cleaner 50% mix Engine had over 200k on it

BW

/hijack/

nice engine

post-2805-136027619134_thumb.jpg

I dont know if will handle the boost from a VF-39, unless you turn the waste gate down with a MBC. I mean 7 lbs out of our stock turbos is not nearly as much volume as 7lbs out of a VF39.

you cant turn boost down to less than what the wastegate spring is set at using a MBC. youd have to replace the spring. and am i wrong in thinking that 7psi is 7psi, no matter where its coming from? the only difference should be the amount of work used to compress the air.

you cant turn boost down to less than what the wastegate spring is set at using a MBC. youd have to replace the spring. and am i wrong in thinking that 7psi is 7psi, no matter where its coming from? the only difference should be the amount of work used to compress the air.

nkx: you ever work with air tools? ever work with BIG air tools? you need BIG lines for BIG torque.. pressure != flow!!! thats what the various CFM of each turbo is.. the pressure is simply that, pressure.

nkx: you ever work with air tools? ever work with BIG air tools? you need BIG lines for BIG torque.. pressure != flow!!! thats what the various CFM of each turbo is.. the pressure is simply that, pressure.

ok, i think i see what youre saying. if thats the case, im thinking you would benefit more if you had bigger valves with more lift, maybe a larger intake manifold.

I dont know if will handle the boost from a VF-39, unless you turn the waste gate down with a MBC. I mean 7 lbs out of our stock turbos is not nearly as much volume as 7lbs out of a VF39.

The VF39 isnt that much bigger than the TD04-13g I was running and I had that TD04@18psi and the motor did fine, the VF-39 is just the next setup up so that I can run the same or slightly more power at lower boost pressures.