Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for EVEN MORE power!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and am i wrong in thinking that 7psi is 7psi, no matter where its coming from? the only difference should be the amount of work used to compress the air.
7PSI at 70degreesF is different massflow than 7PSI at 350degreesF. The difference here is the efficiency of the compressor at the massflow. If the compressor isn't efficient, what it mostly does is heat the air it is compressing, causing its pressure to increase without an increase in flow. Darn gas laws!!!

Just when I though the 5 main bearing crank and heads were goofy enough.. they really want those goofy cylinder walls to float around lose thier goofy head, maybe hoping the goofy "extra" half mains are gong to seriously keep it together. :grin:

So help me... when it is time to evolve because the ea82 became too rare (there is only over 1million in the us alone.), I am saying goodbye to Subarus forever (unless they bring a real engine back) .:mad:

Did they do this on purpose to dig into peoples wallets? what was the motivation to add power to the wrong frickin design?!

Just when I though the 5 main bearing crank and heads were goofy enough.. they really want those goofy cylinder walls to float around lose thier goofy head, maybe hoping the goofy "extra" half mains are gong to seriously keep it together. :grin:

So help me... when it is time to evolve because the ea82 became too rare (there is only over 1million in the us alone.), I am saying goodbye to Subarus forever (unless they bring a real engine back) .:mad:

Did they do this on purpose to dig into peoples wallets? what was the motivation to add power to the wrong frickin design?!

It's moronic comments like this that lead to having threads like these come up: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67416

How many of those engines have you blown? how many have thrown rods out the cylinder walls? I ask because I don't know. I know the SR20-det looks remarkably like that, as far as cylinder design is concerned, and they are rock-solid. Somewhat beefier, owing to the I-4 design.. easier to make the firing deck a larger quadrilateral..

Its modern engine technology. It may look like snake-oil, but thats because, with CAD, we have managed to winnow out the narrow pathways between idiocies to push the envelope. Alot of people said that an airplane would need far too much structural support to survive breaking the sound barrier to allow it to fly (too heavy,) but that certainly worked. and now we have a phrase like "push the envelope" as a result!

As long as you continue to make statements that are so uninformed about this new engine design, you will continue to get flamed for your ignorance. People often get tired of it, so the simplest thing would be to keep your opinions of the EJ series to yourself.

How many of those engines have you blown? how many have thrown rods out the cylinder walls? I ask because I don't know. I know the SR20-det looks remarkably like that, as far as cylinder design is concerned, and they are rock-solid. Somewhat beefier, owing to the I-4 design.. easier to make the firing deck a larger quadrilateral..

Its modern engine technology. It may look like snake-oil, but thats because, with CAD, we have managed to winnow out the narrow pathways between idiocies to push the envelope. Alot of people said that an airplane would need far too much structural support to survive breaking the sound barrier to allow it to fly (too heavy,) but that certainly worked. and now we have a phrase like "push the envelope" as a result!

As long as you continue to make statements that are so uninformed about this new engine design, you will continue to get flamed for your ignorance. People often get tired of it, so the simplest thing would be to keep your opinions of the EJ series to yourself.

i second this, i have never seen an ej motor blow but i have personally seen three ea series motors that were no longer servicable all under 170,000

i second this, i have never seen an ej motor blow but i have personally seen three ea series motors that were no longer servicable all under 170,000

I've seen tons of EJ motors blow up, maybe because I work at a Dealer and see them everyday?

I've personally done several WRX Shortblocks with Rod Bearings knocking so loud you can't hear an air tool in the shop, ive also seen them throw rods allot.

The most common is the EJ25 SOHC Head Gasket Woes :( Allmost a regular occurance :rolleyes:

The best EJ motor ever and still is the EJ22 Period Hands Down, I have yet to see one come in yet with under 300k on the ODO needing engine work, ive even seen once with 514,000miles!

How many of those engines have you blown? how many have thrown rods out the cylinder walls? I ask because I don't know.

I've seen tons of EJ motors blow up, maybe because I work at a Dealer and see them everyday?

I've personally done several WRX Shortblocks with Rod Bearings knocking so loud you can't hear an air tool in the shop, ive also seen them throw rods allot.

The most common is the EJ25 SOHC Head Gasket Woes :( Allmost a regular occurance :rolleyes:

The best EJ motor ever and still is the EJ22 Period Hands Down, I have yet to see one come in yet with under 300k on the ODO needing engine work, ive even seen once with 514,000miles!

Thank you for the answer, I couldn't have asked for a more informative response.

:confused:

I am so sorry! i never knew posting an EJ would cause such a blow up!!

I just thought the compare/contrast would make for a good post.

it's not you, bg73i don't know how to put it but he hates any thing not ea82, it's unbelievably annoying i mean evreyone has a right to there oppinion but stop forcing it down evreyone elses throat, egr is good, 5mains is way better than three, and the ej22 is as solid if not more solid than the ea82, he thinks the ej22 is a pos, for some unknown reason defiying rational thought he verbally trashes it allot with no actual proff beyond the fact that he is god apperantly, so me and a few other member takes it upon ourselves to prove him wrong evrey chance we get,

childish i know,

but for the love of god 5 main bearings 66.666% better than three

It's moronic comments like this that lead to having threads like these come up: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67416

i couldn't agree more completely

OOH OOOH!!! I really really really want a nice 257 now or a 2.2 i like closed deck but.... or even the 25 or even a built up 1.8 but man how preety things are..... when there new.... post pics in about 150 and lets see the carbon!!!! And then scrape it off and do it again!!! Hey... lets do a research study on the best fuel treatment cleaners.....(sorry for hijack) hehe.. im going to sleep.. its 11:30!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally an update!!!!

What a PITA this has been , the first block I got I went to put together and it runs out one of the head bolt threads in the block is stripped and it wont hold torque! Then on closer inspection I also find the front crankshaft oil seal to be damaged on installation, looks like it was friday at the plant and there was free beer at the bar if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Anyways I took the block back and warrantied out another one, couple weeks later it finally shows up and yesturday I worked all day to lap in brand new OEM valves in the heads and put it all together, well at 1am I turned the key and VRRROOOMM its alive!!!!! Runing perfectly smooth!

hehe took it for a test drive last night and guess who rolls up next to me.........Yellow EVO :clap: I played with him a little and only took the revs to 5000rpm since the motor isnt broken in yet and I hung next to his door the whole time! He was like :eek:

Muwwhaha, the TD04 is at 6psi for now until the motor gets broken in.

Enjoy the pics :

c24823d14f94.jpg?_rh=9umfqg6fa2c37p94dyeg2v7rj

9e0b1bcd6fff.jpg?_rh=v65xpfpk9q4kp1azm8qoik6z

55e8c134dc4a.jpeg?_rh=2mg9eex4bqecmu957luw5drj5

0e199e960b7c.jpg?_rh=eg4il516xtug57ky2xzz5q7bw

bf4805ab18ce.jpeg?_rh=f5e3llx6rmu4vgtnzlq5jvpj9

hehe took it for a test drive last night and guess who rolls up next to me.........Yellow EVO :clap: I played with him a little and only took the revs to 5000rpm since the motor isnt broken in yet and I hung next to his door the whole time! He was like :eek:

Muwwhaha, the TD04 is at 6psi for now until the motor gets broken in.

Brand new engine and you're already beating on it. :rolleyes:

Can't say I haven't done the same. Threw an engine in after full rebuild, then drove 2,500 miles the next week.

Good luck with that, and I'm serious too. Take it to a dyno before you blow it up to get some good #'s

Brand new engine and you're already beating on it. :rolleyes:

Can't say I haven't done the same. Threw an engine in after full rebuild, then drove 2,500 miles the next week.

Good luck with that, and I'm serious too. Take it to a dyno before you blow it up to get some good #'s

Read this artical :

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I have tried the easy route with my past motors and have decided to try this method, there is allot of research behind it and it makes perfect sense.