Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Costs of swapping 4EAT in 1996 OBW

Hi,

My tranny is starting to slip pretty good (anti-slip stuff has helped some) but have resigned myself to sticking in a used 4EAT.

A few folks have suggested that a "good" local shop could swap out the units in the $150-250 range.... I've been getting quotes of $500-$1k, and was wondering if that might be due to a higher \hour cost (seems like most repair outfits are pushing $80-100\hr rates)... for my region S. NY State\Metro NY-NJ, versus more rural places. Most shops are figuring 5+ hrs... plus fluid (a couple are throwing in tranny flushes...).

Anybody in S. NY\W. CT have suggestions of reputable shops?

-John

(Sorry for the lameness....) CCR being the folks out in Colorado?

Yes, would very much like to get a unit that will clearly work... seems like they are well respected here..

Have been getting a range of responses when queried about warrantee...

Some give a year, some just say "huh???... most give 90 days.... None, so far have even mentioned labor.... Prices for the used units are also a lot higher than what was suggested.... I was told $240-400 for used, cheapest one I've found so far is ~$700 (including shipping)... many are $1-1.5k....

Still been getting a lot of mixed info on the year\apppropriateness of what units will go in mine....

Some say 95-98, some 95-98 (except for 97), some say only 96 (06/95--6/96 production dates...). Some say 95-98 but the rear differential may require swapping (4.1 v.s. 4.44..."the only way to tell what you have is to pull the plug and count the teeth!"...). Local Dealer says only way to know is to match the VIN of the car it came out of to mine....

So still very much in research mode...

Cheers,

John

96 legacy 4EAT from a 2.5 liter for $250 in hazelton, PA 1-877-459-1415

meriden, CT $400 - 1-888-247-1199

i had an engine shipped to my house for $95, so looks like you can score one for under $350 no problem.

won't take 5 hours to swap a trans, but if that's what they "say they have to charge because that's what the book tells them" then you're hosed. the rates may be higher up there, they are high around me as well (DC area).

have you called any mom and pop transmission shops? (not AAMCO or nationals). the local place that specializes in transmissions around here does trans swap (you supply the trans) for $150 - $200. the funny thing is they have a good reputation and their rebuilds are expensive, but they're good. i find it funny they're so reasonable. i'd bet most if not all the others would be much higher. but a place set up to do trans *seems* like it should be the quickest and have the ability to charge the least.

Hi,

Yeah, roger that. No responses so far.

Did a bid on Junkyarddog.com.. got a lot of auto "bids".... starting to wheedle them down, but theyre all in the $500 (170k!) up to $1500 (lower)...

Will definately check out your links....

On the differential\rear end of things, if I endup with a 1996 (production date 06/95-06/96) 4EAT with a SN or TZ102Z2ABA, can I have reasonable assurance that it'll go into mine?

-John

have you posted in the "parts wanted forum"? someone on here may have a trans for you.

Thats amazing, thanks.

Can I ask how you were able to track these down?

96 legacy 4EAT from a 2.5 liter for $250 in hazelton, PA 1-877-459-1415

meriden, CT $400 - 1-888-247-1199

i had an engine shipped to my house for $95, so looks like you can score one for under $350 no problem.

won't take 5 hours to swap a trans, but if that's what they "say they have to charge because that's what the book tells them" then you're hosed. the rates may be higher up there, they are high around me as well (DC area).

have you called any mom and pop transmission shops? (not AAMCO or nationals). the local place that specializes in transmissions around here does trans swap (you supply the trans) for $150 - $200. the funny thing is they have a good reputation and their rebuilds are expensive, but they're good. i find it funny they're so reasonable. i'd bet most if not all the others would be much higher. but a place set up to do trans *seems* like it should be the quickest and have the ability to charge the least.