Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help !!! 88 GL won't up shift.

Hello all, I'm new to the forums. I have a problem, and I'm hoping you can help.

I have a

1988 GL Wagon

1.8 FI EA82 FWD.

Automatic Trans.

The battery died so I when out to buy a new one, after installing the battery, I left the parking lot of the auto parts store and it would not upshift out of first. When I put it in drive it will go up to about 15 mph, and then it feels like its in neutral. no matter how much I revved it up. If I slowed down again it would run but after about 10 - 15 mph the same thing. When I shift (manually to 2nd) it runs but it will not go past 30 mph. Basically the car won't up shift on its own. I brought it home by using the 1 and 2. Any advice on how to fix this?

I don't have much experience with auto subarus, but I'm sure someone that has had this happen will post.Untill then....It could be low on tranny fluid, or in dire need of a changing.Or the modulator valve is bad. If I remember correctly, it is on the passenger side of the tranny. You should be able to follw the vacuum line from the engine to the tranny to find it.

I removed the modulator and an oil spilled out, is this normal???

What was it AT fluid or Differential Fluid?

Advanced auto parts gave me the wrong modulator, I compared the two and they were different, so I had to return it for the right one. Now I have to wait till Monday to get the new modulator.

I replaced the modulator and it did not have an effect. I re-removed the governor, disassembled it and cleaned it, and that seemed to do something because now it up shifts again. Now the car is loosing Reverse and slips bad from 2nd to third. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, and I follow good advice, so don't think you'll waist your breath, because I do take advice.

I called the local transmission repair shop, and they said they would have to do an overhaul. They quoted a price of $2000 - $2400. What should I do at this point?

buy a dual range 5speed transmission. it will bolt right in for the most part there will be a little wiring issues with auto to manual but its nothing bad me and GD just finished one

If the EA81 2wd is the same tranny i have one with 62,000 miles on it thats yours if you pay to have it shipped. Its slow shifting when its cold but once its warm it shifts like butter. Im doing the swap to 5 speed so i wont be needing it anymore.

That would be my main concern. Is it a drop in, or what has to be done? Does it fit?