Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, guess I have a new driver

Well after getting rid of my RS, crashing my wagon and having to drive my Brat daily for a month or so with little heat, I finally have a new daily driver. I'd found lots of decent subes for sale in the past couple weeks, a nice XT6 for $500, several RX's, two loaded EA81 4WD wagons for $650 and a hatch, but of course you find all the great cars you have no money, when I finally scraped up some cash only one decent sube was still out there, so I bought it.

I am now the proud owner of an '87 GL10 Wagon, my 9th subaru, my first turbo car ever. The car is in decent shape,124k miles, really nice interior, power sunroof, working digi dash, power everything and everything works. The only real down points on the car are the fact that it's an push button 4WD auto, has a couple small rust spots, and peeling cleat coat....but the price was right, so I can deal with those things.

I should be bringing it home tomorrow and promptly installing a new water pump (it's leaky).

Any advice for a first time GL10 owner guys?

Pics to come soon!

I do have a question about the water pump, was there a standard pump for these, my local parts place shows about 3-4 different ones, with different hub heights.....since whatever pump I need has to be ordered I can't compare before I buy. I'd really like to order this thing tonight so I can get it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys, after a little struggle and breaking part of the center timing belt cover (I hate those things) I managed to get it off, and in a complete change of my luck the parts store had two of the four avail. units, and somehow had the one I needed in stock, and it was the cheapest one to boot! Get this, the guy working there, who tried to buy my Brat a while back, didn't even know the water pump I plopped up on the counter was a water pump! It irritates me so much that they hire guys like that and I've put in apps. twice and can't get hired because of my long hair.

At any rate, I have the parts and should be on the road tomorrow afternoon, barring any weird issues.

The water pump was something like the 4.3 one btw, there was also a 4.0, 105, and 110..... I can't believe there are so many diffrent setups out there for these, seems pretty costly for subaru having to make 4 pumps for the same engine.

true but you have to remember that the main weakiness of the ea82 is the fact that it over heats and blows hg's meaning subaru is going to put allot of time into the cooling system, add that into the fact that it was in production for around 10 years i'm kinda supprised it changed as little as it did.

no problem

Well, it may not be pretty, but I like it. I hope to get it painted soon, maybe world rally blue, 5 lug swap.....good stuff. I ditched the hubcaps as soon as I got it home, I think the plain wheels look better, even though they need a repaint too. Once I get the miss out of it, this thing'll be awesome.

06101002085632.jpg

06101002085633.jpg

06101002085634.jpg

And moms hatch for good measure :D

06101002085635.jpg

Well it was bound to happen with my luck.

Last night a drunk driver slammed into the back of my wagon while I was sitting at a stop light. I saw him coming and slammed on the gas but it was no use, he was doing like twice the speed limit and by the time he hit his brakes he was only a car length away. It didn't hurt his Dakota much but it funked up my bumper, crushed in my hatch, destroyed the pass. tail light and bent up some of the sheet metal around the tail light. It also knocked one of the belts into the clutch fan and made the trans slip for a second right after the hit. Everyone one was ok, but he got away and I once again don't have a car to drive for a while. Had it 4 days and now this, kinda sucks.

Anyone have some wagon tail lights lying around?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE!!!!!

speechless. but no one else had posted yet, so I had to offer my pity!! you sound like one of my friends of misery.... FOUR DAYS>?!???! thats a record!

Man, if i had any parts i would GIVE them to you!

as much as i`d like to have the wing, i better save my $$ for necessities right now. Wagonsonly just bought my 360 pickup, before that i was flat broke:-\ that new brat ($2200) came up unexpectedly, and i didn`t realize that was all i had. good thing i still have the 4wd hatch, 97 metro, and 92 loyale to sell:D .

anyway, if Andrew can`t hook you up, i can get at least a pair of tail lights to send down with him. possibly a bumper as well, but it'd be off a loyale, and all black.

I can't believe there are so many diffrent setups out there for these, seems pretty costly for subaru having to make 4 pumps for the same engine.

I always thought that was bizarre -- they made a car that was pretty much the same for 10 years, but it took me three tries to get the right pump for my '85 GL. First one was for a non-AC car (no fan on the water pump), then one for the dealer equipped AC, which is shorter or something, then finally the one for the one with factory equipped AC which is the longer one, or vice versa, can't remember any more which was which. But I thought it was a bit silly considering how interchangeable so much else is.

Let me know if you still need tail lights and want it shipped from CO. I've got the left one from a '91 Loyale I parted out. Sorry, no right side (it was rear ended in the right side).

driving moms Cavilier sucks....

Sorry to hear that. My friends have a '87 cavalier that they got for $400, which I think was about $380 too much. The thing is louder, and goes slower, than my old diesel rabbit. I feel sketchy just parking next to it. Much to my suprise it hasn't actually broken down yet though (only 90k miles on it). But if it ever did, I'm sure they would just pull the plates off and abandon it -- they had three completely bald tires and the donut on it till I gave them the old tires off my suby, and even then it took them a few weeks to pay the $5 each to mount them.

Sorry to hear that. My friends have a '87 cavalier that they got for $400, which I think was about $380 too much.

I hear that. I had an ex with a Lebaron TURBO. Wow that thing was junk! It blew it's third set of HG's (that I know of) and I found her an 86 wagon with 254k on it. As far as I know she's still driving it :rolleyes:

GD

I hear that. I had an ex with a Lebaron TURBO. Wow that thing was junk! It blew it's third set of HG's (that I know of) and I found her an 86 wagon with 254k on it. As far as I know she's still driving it :rolleyes:

GD

heh, think about it this way.. the engine in that lebaron turbo was the ultimate granddad of the SRT-4 driveline.. chrysler tried some interesting stuff with small, turbocharged engines in the 80's. whe carefully built, they can impress.. IIRC there was a turbo Omni that showed up at the SCCA runoffs several years ago that utterly stomped, EVERYONE.

I am not trying to cheer for the Chrysler LeBaron by ANY means, BUT it is a point worth considering.

Yeah - I have a strange attraction to the Dodge Daytona - not enough to actually obtain one tho. The lebaron suffered from head gasket "abrasion" where the block is cast iron, and the head aluminium - the two have different expansion rates and will actually "chew" the gasket to peices after an alarmingly short time.

The Omni was actually developed by Simca - which was a French division of chrysler at the time - later sold to Peugeot. It was only "assembled" by Chrysler. But it was a step in the "lets build our own" direction instead of importing the compact cars from Mitsubishi as they had done up to that time with stuff like the colt (and the raider - even though that's not a compact)

GD

the daytona was a chrysler assembled mistubishi starion, if I am not mistaken.. at the very least, the two vehicles were intimately related, it may have BEEN a starion.. but the starion was a great car.. thats the opinion of an owner, not a mechanic, but he was a smart guy.. anyhow, i have never heard much Ill about them and they dont show up in junkyards like alot of 80s jap-sportscars do eventually.. (coughsupracough300ZXcough)

the daytona was a chrysler assembled mistubishi starion, if I am not mistaken.. at the very least, the two vehicles were intimately related, it may have BEEN a starion.. but the starion was a great car.. thats the opinion of an owner, not a mechanic, but he was a smart guy.. anyhow, i have never heard much Ill about them and they dont show up in junkyards like alot of 80s jap-sportscars do eventually.. (coughsupracough300ZXcough)

The Daytona was not a Starion, you're thinking of the Conquest, way cooler than the Daytona (FWD), rear wheel drive, turbo, big tires, widebody look..... I've wanted one going on for almost 20 years now. Every one I can find is overpriced and nice or a complete pile.

jeff4.jpg

'

It was the Chrysler Conquest and the Mitsubishi Starion that were sister cars. 2.6l turbo if I remember correctly. I had the pleasure of driving one once, AWESOME! I was going 125 before I grabbed 5th gear!

Completely Off Topic, but is that the same 2.6 as the Mitsubishi pickup trucks got (minus the turbo)