Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, Mr. Custom electronics guy has had what has turned into a 10-month+ brain fart. I idiotically followed the advice of others on another board and in turn gave a HORRIBLE example on where to ground. As I'm sure most of you know, your battery is grounded to the bottom of your Engine/TC. I added two ground cables to each side of my manifold. Shortly thereafter, I began noticing Hard Shifting. Wasn't until I experienced Ground Loop Hum with my Sunfire Mark IV that I realized what I had done to my car... Created a ground loop. Now, feel free to add cables to your chassis, reinforce TCU ground, but NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU, IT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA TO ADD GROUNDS TO YOUR ENGINE. I'm just glad I switched to the Royal Purple awhile ago and that I eventually realized my mistake. PLEASE TAKE NOTE as I DO NOT want to be the cause of someones' blown clutch packs. Sorry about that, please remove those grounds.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

CRAZY

i have never had that problem

when upgrading the charging system for the car audio upgrade i run:

4gage from the block (close to the alt.) to the firewall/fender

4gage from the block to the battery

4gage from the fender to the battery (old man told me about the keep killing the battery in a 64 mecury i has)

4gage off the back of the alt (keeping the factory wire intact) to the battery

4gage to the starter to the batery

also i have bein know to run another 4gage off the starter bolt to the fender/firewall

and yes this is over kill, but i have found that your light have a fighting chance if your not trying to charge two battery's with a 12gage/14gage wire

i have never had any ground loops, alt noises elt. ,also running stiffing capp's help the lights when the bass hits

on my honda i plummed in a delco 65amp on top of the stock 55amp NIP.

no head light problem and alway had 15.5V ready to go (amps run so much cooler ver. 13.1V)

also monster cable makes some realy good battery post conectors

an ever-day joe could get away with 8gage but im not a every day-joe :burnout:

edit: i was raised with the idea the better the ground the cleaner the output

and addin cables to the manifolds dont sound like a good idea in the first place

Thought I should bump this, because the other thread about the same topic was bumped too. Maybe both of htese should be deleted and a sticky added when it gets figured out.

Well, Mr. Custom electronics guy has had what has turned into a 10-month+ brain fart. I idiotically followed the advice of others on another board and in turn gave a HORRIBLE example on where to ground. As I'm sure most of you know, your battery is grounded to the bottom of your Engine/TC. I added two ground cables to each side of my manifold. Shortly thereafter, I began noticing Hard Shifting. Wasn't until I experienced Ground Loop Hum with my Sunfire Mark IV that I realized what I had done to my car... Created a ground loop. Now, feel free to add cables to your chassis, reinforce TCU ground, but NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE TELLS YOU, IT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA TO ADD GROUNDS TO YOUR ENGINE. I'm just glad I switched to the Royal Purple awhile ago and that I eventually realized my mistake. PLEASE TAKE NOTE as I DO NOT want to be the cause of someones' blown clutch packs. Sorry about that, please remove those grounds.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hm..reading this post makes me think about some ground wires I've seen on my '00OBW; I guessed they were there from the factory but I'm not sure. They're like 12 gauge maybe and there's probably three or four running from various places on the engine to the body.

That sounds OEM.

I have never heard of adding ground wires causing trouble. So this is an interesting case. To avoid this you can stick to duplicating factory ground spots. Put your wire along the same path and ground to the same bolts. Or make sure you take all of your ground wires to the same spot.