Ultimate Subaru Message Board

valve seals in gasket kit/2 colors??

Hey guys

I took my heads to a machine shop and dug thru my overhaul gasket set and gave them the valve seals

I noticed that the rubber on 8 were black and the rubber on the other were a medium green color

Obviosly they are color coded for a reason....which go where???

I want to tell the shop in case they don't know

thanks

My guess would be maybe one set is for the intake and the other color the exhaust? Maybe when the stop tears it down they/you can see which color is where in the existing stuff?

Yup. Never had an EJ engine that far apart, but I know that the EA82 valve seals are different heights for intake and exhaust. I can't remember if they're different colors or not. If your seals appear to be otherwise identical, it's probably a different rubber compound better suited to each application (the intake has to seal against vacuum, while the exhaust has to deal with more heat).

Hey guys

I took my heads to a machine shop and dug thru my overhaul gasket set and gave them the valve seals

I noticed that the rubber on 8 were black and the rubber on the other were a medium green color

Obviosly they are color coded for a reason....which go where???

I want to tell the shop in case they don't know

thanks

MANUAL SAYS for 2.2 & 2.5 )

Intake = black

Exhaust= brown

They might have updated the brown to green

Hope this helps

SEA#3