Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swaping trannys..do i need to drop exhaust at manifold

Just what the title states. Im swapping from auto to manual and wonder do i need to drop the exhaust at the manifolds or is there a place to separate it after the Y pipe? reason i ask is my heads have been helicoiled twice so i would rather not disturb them right now as they are not leaking. If worst comes to worst i will but i would rather not. I would just crawl under the car and look for myself except im an hour and a half away from it. Thanks in advance

13$?!?!?!

IIRC (which I often don't :mad:) they are a little over $3 from the dealer, maybe $4 and some change if you don't get wholesale....

But inspect the ones you have - usually I can re-use them if they aren't too old, and are OEM metal style. If you can see where the cardboard is starting to burn away, or evidence of carbon escaping, then replace them.

GD

stupid reminder here, but dont forget to factor in the heli-coils when deciding whether you want to replace them or re use them :grin:

Yeah - those short studs seem to be especially troublesome on the EA82's (EA81's had longer studs because of the ASV spacers). In lieu of the heli-coil's (which are out-of-budget more times than not I've found) you can tap the threads over to 7/16"x20 and use a bolt instead. No drilling is required, and if a return to the original size is wanted later, the heli-coil will still be possible.

GD

Yeah - those short studs seem to be especially troublesome on the EA82's (EA81's had longer studs because of the ASV spacers). In lieu of the heli-coil's (which are out-of-budget more times than not I've found) you can tap the threads over to 7/16"x20 and use a bolt instead. No drilling is required, and if a return to the original size is wanted later, the heli-coil will still be possible.

GD

So what you guys are saying is if i pull the y pipe at the manifold i will most likely need to get the the thing re-helicoiled?