Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone tell me what this is, I need a new one

So after doing plugs, wires and cleaning the MAf on the wagon to get rid of the miss I have, it's still there, but I think I know where it's coming from. While I was doing the plugs I noticed what looked like a loose vaccum connection, so I tuged at the line and while it was kinda loose it was attached to something, turns out that the line is attached to this cube thing, but had been broken before and siliconed on. I though I could hear a vac. leak so I guess this was it, after it came all the way off the car has been hard to start and I've been getting a CEL. So my question is this, what is this thing?

In photo 1 you can see the offending item in the red circle, in photo 2 you can see the line that goes to it in yellow. Can anyone tell me what this little block is called so I can get a new one, and do you think it'll be a parts store or dealership item?

Thanks in advance..

broken1.jpg

broken2.jpg

nice! not surprised at all!

forgot to mention, i haven't seen them fail too often (actually never personally) so i'd make sure yours is bad and also wouldn't think twice about installing a used one.

I've had quite a few do the "infinite resistance" thing on me. The wagon I just did an auto to manual swap on had both of them like that. The PO painted over the CEL with black nail polish.

GD

After I broke 2 of them the same why you broke yours I found that one out of a honda works. Located in the engine compartment inside the black box with all the vaccum hoses going to it. Or just Look around the junk yard for silinoid valves with similar charactoristics.

Thanks guys, I was looking at it earlier and noticed that it also has a electrical connection, the thing hasn't gone bad, but some one has broken off one of the male ends that goes into the vac. line. Will it hurt to run the car with it the way it is now?

Also....anyone have one they want to get rid of?

Yeah - it's the same idea. Just look for ones that don't have the "vent", or plug the vent with a cap or a bit of hose and a bolt.

GD

Thank you, I'll have to hit the junk yard friday, I've been meaning to get to the yard anyways, I think they have an RX sitting around. I'll be glad to be rid of this miss, it's weird..... I don't have the CEL anymore and it's running like crap, dead miss...... infact the only time if ran like it should (and it was awesome) is when I had a CEL last night and this morning. I'm guessing this solenoid is the problem, is there something else I should check? I plan on doing fuel filter this weekend.... what else?

Thank you, I'll have to hit the junk yard friday, I've been meaning to get to the yard anyways, I think they have an RX sitting around. I'll be glad to be rid of this miss, it's weird..... I don't have the CEL anymore and it's running like crap, dead miss...... infact the only time if ran like it should (and it was awesome) is when I had a CEL last night and this morning. I'm guessing this solenoid is the problem, is there something else I should check? I plan on doing fuel filter this weekend.... what else?

GeneralDisorder!!

BOOM!!! textbook case of ECU going into "limp mode!"

not a problem to worry about, GoldDiggerRoo, by any means, I say that to GD just to point it out the next time he is arguing in favor of fixing "stupid" CELs rather than ignoring them. When enough errors are encountered, the ECU goes into a limp mode to ensure proper operation despite component "failure..." and this is a good reason to FIX egr solenoid problems rather than ignore them, among other things.... so yah, sorry for the threadjack. Im reading this thread eagerly, because I broke the EXACT same vacuum fitting a looong time ago and have it epoxied back together, and now I will replace. :grin: