Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The problem is that the stock key is so worn down that it wouldn't work too well to have a copy made.

By "OEM key set" I mean to get some brand new keys through my VIN no. or something.

You can get a dealer cut key based on the VIN number if your car was registered at that dealer (or so I'm told by the dealership).

I was able to get a key made at the dealer based on the VIN. They have a computerized key cutter. They should be able to do any subaru VIN as long as it is on the system. The only problem is that the lock may also have worn, so the new key may not work. The copy I had made works fine in the doors, but it drags in the ignition. I had a copy done at a lock shop that works like the original old key.

Find a good key shop. You can set a key machine up to take a little bit more or less off a duplicate to compensate for the wear. I had this problem on a land rover. My locksmith went through 5 keys before getting one that worked. Then made a copy of that, which worked fine. He only changed me for the two that worked:)

Is the key you have an original key? Do you see a number cast into your key, right below the head? If so, that's your keycode. All you'd have to do is take it to a dealer or locksmith and tell them to cut a key for that code.

If it's not an original key, any dealer can look up your keycode with a VIN. If I wanted to get in HUGE trouble (and I don't) I could have you PM me your VIN number and I could look up your keycode right now, as we speak :)

If you can't find a dealer who can cut an original key for you, you can find one who'll do it mail order if you can prove you own the car. Also, if you remove the passenger side inner door trim and look at the key cylinder with a mirror and flashlight, you'll find the keycode stamped into the cylinder.

and while you're at it ... you can remove the keyway from the ignition switch, (2 plastic housings, 3 or 4 screws and a push pin to release the keyway while the key is in it) and have the lock smith replace the pins in the keyway to match the existing. then your new key will work perfectly.

you can also make it match any other subaru key you might carry. i love having one key operate 2 cars.