Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scrape noise when turning left

Today while out the wagon developed a scrape noise in the right rear wheel area. I think it started happening after I had to make a hard stop after some soccer mom pulled out in front of me in her minivan.

The noise is pretty loud and only happens when turning left. For example making a left at a stop light. I haven't been able to duplicate it any otherway. Could I have a stuck caliper or could it be something else? I'll probably pull the wheel tommorow but what are the likely culprits I should be looking for? It's a 99OBW. Thanks!

That is a strange one! I've had a similar situation happen on a front wheel, and that turned out to be a very worn brake pad that lost its brake material, and its backing plate was touching the rotor only in a sharp turning situation. You must have something similar happening, a brake pad that's come loose, or even parts of your emergency brake have come loose inside the rotor. Is the wheel loose and twisting the rotor sideways under the stress of the turn? (unlikely since you would feel the wheel wobble at speed). One thing for sure, once you get the wheel off, I'm betting the problem will be fairly obvious. Get back to us when you figure it out. Good Luck!