Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leak from hell

I got another coolant leak, its leaking from the water pump area, this will be #4 with repairing the same leak. It leaked from the same spot, so i re did the gasket, didnt work, new (rebuilt) pump, stopped leaking, then it burst the gasket 3 days later, then i redid the gasket, and it didnt leak for like 4-5 days and it sprung a small leak that is now a bigger one as a drip drip drip, so what the hell else could possibly be leaking, its coming from RIGHT under the water pump, and landing on the exhaust manifold. There was some coolant on top of the pump also. Could i have gotten a defective pump. I got a new oring for the inlet pipe, but it wasnt exact, it was out of an O-Ring box, it was much skinnier and fatter than the original, and was very difficult to push the pipe flush with the waterpump, so that "could" be a possibliy. But could my pump possibly be warped and not allowing a seal??? I put a new gasket on a clean, dry surface, and smotherd Waterpump gasket sealer made form silicone on both sides of the gasket, and it was on right, and tightend down evenly. Im not sure what else to do!!!

Hey Prospeeder,

I've never seen a defective NEW waterpump, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. A remanufactured pump is the only bad "new" pump i've ever had. That was on a small block Chevy tho, and i've never bought another reman.

That gasket sealer you described sounds iffy, what i use is good old Permatex #2 and glue the gasket to the pump. I put a very small amount on the other side of the gasket facing the engine and I've never had one leak on me.

That O ring sounds like it "may" be the problem. When I've had a corroded pipe and no replacement on hand, I've put a little silicone around that O ring and it held fine.

Yep, the O ring. Mabie.

HTH

ok DEFINATLY not the oring. It was again the water pump gasket. In the exact same spot, Soooo i took that little *************** back to Napa, and got another, and it seems the one i had originally had the bearing in it pulled out, and the impeller was inset quite a bit. What would cause that???? just crappy remanufacture? Soooo i RTV'd that mother on thier GOOD so hopefully i wont have to do this again. BTW this will be time #4 its leaked....

ok DEFINATLY not the oring. It was again the water pump gasket. In the exact same spot, Soooo i took that little *************** back to Napa, and got another, and it seems the one i had originally had the bearing in it pulled out, and the impeller was inset quite a bit. What would cause that???? just crappy remanufacture? Soooo i RTV'd that mother on thier GOOD so hopefully i wont have to do this again. BTW this will be time #4 its leaked....

Ok, now i've got it. It was the water pump seal leaking, the seal where the shaft goes through the bearing right?

It's been 20 years since I've bought a reman water pump and even back then I had the same problem with it that you had with yours. It has to do with pressing out the shaft, then pressing it all back together with a new seal and bearing. The used hub and shaft pressed back together is not as good as new. I'd like to know the failure rate with reman pumps, I'd bet it's high.

The last NEW water pump I bought at NAPA came with the O ring, btw.

I'd like to know the failure rate with reman pumps, I'd bet it's high.
i work at an auto parts store it's high we warrenty our new pumps for life and our reman's for a year had one new one come back in the warrenty period after like 6years had like three reman's plus the remans look like ************ put them side by side and there are usually two welds on eather side of the pump holding the uh thing behind the impeller in place