Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Flywheel and clutch Qs

First off engine and tranny from 86 hatch are stock. If I am trying to get a flywheel to swap in for minimal downtime. Which one(s) should I be looking at. There seems to be a difference between early EA81 and later models for clutch size. Do I need an exact match or does it matter? Will an EA82 flywheel/clutch fit without using a 5speed dual range?

Mike

Mike, get a late model EA81 flywheel. '84 and up 4WD will do the trick. Can't swap the EA82 without doing the 5sp swap as the clutch disc has different splines and the pressure plate uses a different throw out bearing.

Call me if you need any help. I do not know but I may have a flywheel. I'll check. If I don't Rob probably does.

Ken

83 or 84 4WD will work. It needs to be the 225mm unit. 82 and older 4WD's were 200mm like the 2WD's.

There is a way to use the EA82 setup if you wish - you can use the EA81 clutch disc with the EA82 flywheel and pressure plate, and then you need a throwout bearing from a mid 80's Nissan 720 hardbody truck.... I know it sounds strange, but that's the way it's done. You also have to grind a bit on the bottom of the bell-housing for the EA82 flywheel to bolt on, and you would need to transfer your timing marks over to it.

But as stated by Qman - it's much easier to just get the EA81 flywheel.

Also - I usually don't do anything to the flywheels, and for the few that I have had turned, my local Napa will do them in about 2 hours.... you should call and check as you may not even need an extra.

GD