Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Benefits of replacing the boot(s) (if it hasn't been torn for very long) include retaining the Subaru OE quality. Otherwise it is usually much easier to just install a replacement/rebuilt half shaft. However sometimes these things aren't the highest quality and even though they may have a lifetime warranty you still have to spend time (or money if you have someone else do the work) replacing it if it fails.

Benefits of replacing the boot(s) (if it hasn't been torn for very long) include retaining the Subaru OE quality. Otherwise it is usually much easier to just install a replacement/rebuilt half shaft. However sometimes these things aren't the highest quality and even though they may have a lifetime warranty you still have to spend time (or money if you have someone else do the work) replacing it if it fails.

I had both mine(passenger side) done after a recent tear; They have lasted thus far with nary a problem. Knock on wood.

I had the right side replaced about a year or so ago and a few weeks ago had to do the left. I went with entire replacement with new (about $20 difference between new and rebuilt) because I want at least another year out of my 97 Legacy. I've gotten way too spoiled not having a car payment the last few years. I guess it depends on how long you want to drive the car and if the boot was recently damaged or if it has been for quite some time.