Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LL Bean 2001 - seems to have HG issue

Dear All,

As I reported before

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=543414

I've got a new car for myself - LL bean 2001 (Automatic, H6) with 90k miles.

During original inspection I've mentioned that coolant is a bit darkish but it seemed that there no oil signs. I didn't open radiator cap since engine was hot and I was too eager to get it (read "I was stupid") to wait for it to cool down to check it out. On the way back home on a new car temperature gauge stayed in the middle (horizontal) -- I thought that it was a bit high (the weather is cold, I was on highway, no A/C) and started to worry.

Now I've opened radiator cap and saw yellowish residue on the sides and a bit inside the radiator cap :slobber: Here is a crapy picture (sorry - took it my cell phone)

coolantoil1.jpgAm I 100% experiencing head crack or HG issue? Friend of mine is a bit more optimistic saying that may be it is just way too old coolant and who knows what kind of residue is that? What would be your opinion?

I am going to check compression (though couldn't locate spark plugs underneath all the gadgets on top... on legacy 1995 they are much easier to locate -- am I blind or there is a trick?). As I understand it might reveal the possible location of the leak...

Would it make sense to have radiator flushed/recharged and see if I see similar residue after a while...

Also I am about to try to reach previous owner (bought it from a tiny dealer through ebay) and ask if they experienced any issues.

I am looking for your opinion guys.

Thank you very much in advance

hard to tell from the pick, but doesn't look that worrying to me. there is typically some white flaky residue on any vehicle. the concern is with milkshake looking fluid which i don't see in the pic. yours looks fine. sometimes depending on driving conditions and such a little even milky looking stuff isn't a sign of serious issues.

i think you're okay. watch the temp gauge, that will definitely show any cooling system issues. if it's holding steady then you're fine.

hard to tell from the pick, but doesn't look that worrying to me. there is typically some white flaky residue on any vehicle. the concern is with milkshake looking fluid which i don't see in the pic. yours looks fine. sometimes depending on driving conditions and such a little even milky looking stuff isn't a sign of serious issues.
Thank you very much... my hurt started to beat closer to normal

And sorry for the bad picture... here you can get fresh ones

http://www.onerussian.com/php/album.php?page=Photos/Cars/Subi2001/20061126COOL/

though damn me - you need to look at the page in mozilla or firefox (or probably opera) -IE screws it up... Here I will provide just few to don't abuse the forum

img_4072.jpg

img_4071.jpg

img_4074.jpg

full resolution images are available if you click on printer icon above image on my photo album page

For some reason I thought that it would be better (more full color) without flash - so all the ones before wiping out are without flash... whenever the one at the end with flash is of much better quality :-/

The last ones are after I wiped it with paper towl - I will drive to my friend (10 mins away) who would help me watching the gauge to check compression on cylinders.

Thank you once again for your input

Just did OBDII monitoring... though not when on a highway but driving around a few blocks after a highway. The temperature I was monitoring is abbreviated as ECT I believe and it ran between 187F (when fan blow) till 200F (before they start blowing) . And the gauge arrow was in the middle as I reported. so I assume that is ok and I am indeed paranoid as my friend said after he looked at the residue and on the state of the coolant.

Unfortunately we didn't run compression testing - it appears to be not as easy to get to the spark plugs on H6 as it was on my 1995 - we left it for the next weekend fun. We cleaned it around - lets see if I get more of that yellow crap within a week. Then I am going to flush the cooling system anyways - I doubt it was flushed any recent time.

BTW - for compression testing, is it enough to take fuel pump fuse off or do I have to disconnect the pump really or unplug relay? I am asking because on 1995, after I disconnected the plug to fuel pump, it was enough of 1 start for 3 seconds to have engine stall and not come back on the next attempt to start. on this beast H6 (with the fuse taken out) it kept starting up for 0.5-2 seconds. I tried 10 times or more. It might be that ignition system has quite an independent from pump reservour for gas or smth - I am really missing proper manual for H6 or may be some basic knowledge...

I assume your car was recalled and the additive to extend HG warranty to 100K miles / 8years? Check with SOA that this recall was performed. If you are going to change the coolant, be sure to add the Subaru additive to the coolant and keep a record of the purchase and mileage so as to keep the extended warranty valid. NOTE: check on this site for nuances of refilling and bleeding the coolant system. If not done properly, you can cause air pockets that allow for local areas of overheating and ... yup, you guessed it, HG failure!:banghead:

I think yarikoptic has the H6. When I want to cut the fuel I usually just pull the fuse with it running then crank for a second or two afterward. If it starts up for a second it might just be fuel vaporizing in the lines enough to make her go for an instant. Compression test of course equals all plugs out, engine warm, battery fully charged, throttle blocked open, etc.

I assume your car was recalled and the additive to extend HG warranty to 100K miles / 8years? Check with SOA that this recall was performed. If you are going to change the coolant, be sure to add the Subaru additive to the coolant and keep a record of the purchase and mileage so as to keep the extended warranty valid. NOTE: check on this site for nuances of refilling and bleeding the coolant system. If not done properly, you can cause air pockets that allow for local areas of overheating and ... yup, you guessed it, HG failure!:banghead:
Well, as I understand you are talking about recall on HG external leak, which is specific to 2.5L engines (2000-2003). I was reminded in another thread that it has nothing to do with H6 in any way.

SOA has been "verifying my ownership" after I added a VIN to my account on mysubaru.com. Carfax lists 2 recalls

Recall #WWM961 Rear suspension

sub-frame corrosion

Recall #WWQ011 Cruise cable clip

I don't know which recalls were serviced... I am going to stop by at the dealership anyway - will use the coupon to get rotation/balancing done and need to get 1 lug nut I found missing today on front right wheel :-/ (for now placed 1.2$ one from advancedauto)