Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Chuxwagon's replacement is here!

Numbchux

got here today!!

PICT2293resized.jpg

an '87 SR5 turbo with an Automatic. VERY solid frame (hard to find here in the midwest), and a slight knock (probably a #4 rod bearing...). but only 24,000 miles on a brand new head and turbo. $1600.

it'll be a bit of a project, but it's already got add-a-leafs, and front torsion bars cranked up, so I think some fender trimming, a 2-tone paint job, and some 33s should do nicely for next year. maybe a rear locker aswell....

then, SAS and 35s.

:banana: Welcome to the toyota family!:banana: That is one good lookin 4Runner. Kinda like mine. Your gonna love the turbo 4runner. Probably need a manual tranny though. But yeah they will brawl anything even with IFS. Good luck on the SAS its pretty easy stuff. Gonna take it wheelin this weekend?:brow:

Gonna take it wheelin this weekend?:brow:

Gotta fix the knock before I do much with it....

the turbos where only available in '87. they knew the regular 22RE 4-cyl was not powerful enough, but the V6 wasn't ready to be released until '88....so they turbo'd the old motor.

Nice ride. The turbo manual trannys are hard to find at a reasonable price. Marlin sells them rebuilt. Not sure if the turbo T-case is interchangable to a manual turbo tranny. Might have to find a combo.

I'm not concerned. I'll go way out of my way to keep the auto trans for my crawler. that was one of the reasons I wanted to ditch the subaru....I hated the 5-speed for offroad.

and the turbos were not available with a MT.

Looks tough, but I hope you change those wheels

yea..they're uber ugly...

I may just paint them solid black though...since I like their width and backspacing

I took a couple pics of my crazy digital dash setup today, and finally got around to uploading them:

PICT2295.jpg

PICT2297.jpg

my girlfriend has a 87 like that but silver, turbo auto 4x4. i just finished rebuilding the engine, having the turbo rebuilt, etc etc. has over 400K on the orignal drivetrain when the head finally went and i did the full rebuild. her dad bought it when it was new off the lot with less then 1 mile on it. i love the freaking thing too.

I will miss the confusion caused by rolling up to the offroad park in my subaru.

but the only cost advantage the subaru has, is initial cost, and tires (35s cost a little more than 29s...). but I should be able to get this truck on 35s by spring with about $500. and I have an AT, gearing, and articulation. next summer...5.29 axle gears, and lockers (detroit rear, ARB front).

the subaru was fun....but it's got nothing.

3" subaru body lift: I paid $350, but I think they're more now....

toyota

1.5" ball joint spacer for the front: $100

add-a-leaves for the rear: $50

2" body lift: $150

total 3.5" lift (half suspension too): $300

the lockers and gears will be uber expensive, but at least it's possible.

rear disc conversion is a bit more expensive....but should easily be able to do it for less than $500.

so yea, the subaru was cheaper, but not by as much as many people think. and the subaru broke stuff doing trails the runner will laugh at....

but I should be able to get this truck on 35s by spring with about $500. and I have an AT, gearing, and articulation. next summer...5.29 axle gears, and lockers (detroit rear, ARB front).quote]

If your running 35s you don't need 5.29s. I have 36in tires and i'm running 4.88s and its sweet. Plus 5.29 gears break easier cause there less teeth touching than with 4.88s. But everyone has there own gearing style. Either way I can't wait to see offroading pics.:banana:

Are those prices new or used?

new. check out http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

just about anything he makes for a 4runner, I plan on buying! sliders, body lift, ball joint spacers, front diff drop kit, hi lift jack mount, and probably more. Occasionally this stuff comes up used for even less. I've seen many a set of ball joint spacers for $50 or less used.

and yes, I know the rear disc swap is much cheaper on a subaru, I've bought 2 setups, and installed 3 (transplanted from one car when I parted it to another). paid about $100 for the first, and $40 for the second (local yard).