Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Leg 2.2 Coolant leak - when cold, intermittant

My 95 wagon (2.2 engine) has developed an unusual leak. When parked for a day or two, I get a puddle of coolant under the front center of the engine. This only shows up after it has been parked for a couple of days, and even then it happens only sporadically. The local shop (Superior Import in Portland) could not tell me where the leak was, but wanted to try replacing the water pump for $300. $300 is too much to pay for a "try".

The heater works. There's no moisture inside the car, and no oil in the radiator. Fuel mileage is normal.

Any suggestions?

Look carefully for source of leak. Removing the timing belt cover should make it easier to see if the water pump is the culprit. Can you keep an eye on the radiator and hoses to see if they are the culprit. While this involves some "down and dirty" time of your own, this sort of diagnosis may remove the guesswork. There is also a dye that can be added to the coolant that can be detected under UV light.

how many miles on the water pump, when was it changed last? how many miles on the timing belt? miles on the car?

the water pump on my 97 obw 2.5 was leaking at 98k miles, new pump, belt, seals, and i'm good til 200k. the leak was a drip from the bottom of the oil pump housing, center, front of the engine.

the same car a year later developed a leak from the left side of the radiator. that was from the radiator cap and it dribbled down the side and drip off near or from the lower hose. it was only noticeable when the car was hot and sitting in on place. as the pressure built up in the system , the cap leaked. no leak when cool.

drive the car till it reaches operating temp, 20 minute on the hiway. then let it idle in the driveway for a while. 15 min. then turn it off and look for the wet spot on ground and drip on bottom of car. you'll need a flash light.

just in case the radiator fans are blowing the drips away, check it again after it has been siiting off for 15 minutes.

good luck.

Johnceggleston,

165K on the car. Timing belt replaced at 125K. I'll have to check my paperwork to see when the H2O pump was replaced, perhaps it was replaced with the timing belt. Most of my water hoses have been replaced by Superior Import in the last year, partly to track down this leak, w/o success.

Your note says you had a leak from the oil pump - this was an oil leak, right, not a coolant leak?

Thanks all for the useful advice.

Johnceggleston,

165K on the car. Timing belt replaced at 125K. I'll have to check my paperwork to see when the H2O pump was replaced, perhaps it was replaced with the timing belt. Most of my water hoses have been replaced by Superior Import in the last year, partly to track down this leak, w/o success.

Your note says you had a leak from the oil pump - this was an oil leak, right, not a coolant leak?

Thanks all for the useful advice.

it was a coolant leak, but was dripping off of the oil pump housing.

i had just gotten the car, noticed the collant was low for the second time, and started looking for the leak. i found the drip, but never confirmed it was the water pump. but at 98k miles with the t-belt due at 105k miles and posts here telling me to do everything on the front at the same time, i just replaced it. no leak after that work.

i paid close to 700$ (labor @ 75$/hr) for the pump, belt, all the front seals and labor. others will tell you it can be done for 500$ or so. idealy there should be a labor savings by doing more than i tem on the front at the same time.

but it would be best to isolate the leak before you spend the money.