Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T MAF Code

Okay, so I was driving to get the car registered, and learned what the problem is. I went WOT on the highway trying to pass a semi, and the car started to surge really bad.

Then the ECS light came on and stayed on. Pulled over, it threw code 14, which is the MAF I believe.

The car's on its third MAF from what I understand... I doubt its the MAF now (though, likely I guess).

Anyone have suggestions? Could there be some other sensor that's throwing bad values, making the ECU think the MAF is bad? (I don't know, I'm grasping at thin air here!)

Someone with access to an FSM covering the EA81 Turbo:

What's the diagnostics page for code 14 (Abnormal MAF signal) say? Most specifically, the resistances between the terminals of the MAF?

The 86 FSM for the EA82 Turbo say:

Resistance between UB and Ground: 300ohm

Resistance between UFIX and Ground: 200ohm

Resistance between US and Ground: From 50 - 500 ohm.

The MAF I have tests fine for the EA82 specs, but Noss seems to think the EA81 and EA82 MAFs are different, so I'd suspect those numbers should be different.

Anyone with a Turbo FSM? C'mon here.

From the EA81T wiring diagram supplement, May 1983:

1) Set key in switch in IG position. (Engine off)

2) Measure voltage between check connector II air flow meter Ufix (LY) + and ground (BR) -

3) Apporx 5V?

I'll continue when you reply because its like 3 pages long and I have no scanner.

I just want the part where it tells you to test the resistance of the MAF (says something about disconnect MAF terminal, measure resistance at blah).

I want to see if the EA81T MAFs have the same resistance values as the EA82T MAFs. If so, then they're the same MAF, and my problem lies elsewhere.

Disconnect air flow meter connector, and measure resistance between Us and GND of air flow meter... Approx 70 Ohm when flap is fully closed

Between Ub and GND: Approx 300 Ohm

Ufix and GND: Approx 200 Ohm

Us and GND (With flap opened fully): Approx 50 OHM

(With flap closed fully): 500 Ohm

Looks to be identical to the EA82 MAF.

Can you verify the last two for me?

The MAFs I have read 50ohm between Us and G when flap is closed, and 500ohm between Us and G when flap is open which matches the 86FSM, though is opposite of what you say.

Perhaps that's the problem, though I can't figure out how it would even run like that.

Can you double check that the pins are the same?

G is the leftmost, then Ub, then Ufix, then Us

Yeah, the numbers are the same, but backwards from the two MAFs I have. The MAFs I have are at 50ohm when closed, and 500ohm when open.

I would think that the car wouldn't even run if this was the case though?

Perhaps its a misprint? I dunno. I need to find an EA81T MAF though and rule it out before I go checking wiring.