Ultimate Subaru Message Board

But it wasnt problems on dry pavement. It was in the snow.

Therefore it may have been tire issues, not AWD. You have not eliminated that variable.

Getting the transmission "fixed" because the car got stuck one time in snow with summer tires sounds silly to me... :-\

Noah, replacing the clutch pack & solenoid shouldn't be that hard, i've actually read that you can do it without dropping the trans, just disassembling the read end of the 4eat... I have to do the same thing w/ my impreza, lack of power to the rear end... can actually make the front end slip... The local tranny place near where i live in NH said they would do it for $400 bucks... but i still want to do it myself ;)

400.00 thats a steal, a real steal.

Mine cost 850.00 at the dealer.

nipper

But it wasnt problems on dry pavement. It was in the snow.

ok lets try something. Put the car in low and try it. Low forces the car into 50/50 torque split. If the wheels still spin and the rears just sit there, you have glazed AWD clutch plates.

nipper

ok lets try something. Put the car in low and try it. Low forces the car into 50/50 torque split. If the wheels still spin and the rears just sit there, you have glazed AWD clutch plates.

nipper

If the wheels are spinning, he is getting power to the wheels, the tire just aren't getting any traction. You need to notice if all four wheels are spinning, or at least one front and one back (opposite corners) at the same time, that will tell you that you are in AWD. This is kind of a mute point now since the snow is gone, but he could join you this weekend and you could check it out in the mountains. But get better tires first.

Its the same symptoms as my 90 Legacy .

A semi local transmission shop quoted me $750 to repair a transfer

unit on my 90 Legacy. If I could find a reputable shop to do it for

$400 I'd jump at it. Read the word "reputable". I can probably get

it done for $400, but the quality of work is unknown.

Richard

i thnk you may actually have more traction on ice then wet grass ... thats how bad wet grass is.

nipper

i remember a while back, i went atv'ing and my dad used his GMC savana(has a posi rear diff) and we parked there for a few hours, then we loadeed up the atv's, we left, and i said dad lets goo! he said, um were stuck, :confused:. So i get out, and we were stuck both wheels were spinning, and no traction at all(wet grass) and ontop of that my dad WOT and dug a hole:clap: he dug so deep that the truck was on the ground:rolleyes: Well it was fun, especially watching our Arctic Cat 500 TRV atv try and pull out the truck with the wench, no luck though(duh 800lb's verse 4000lb's or more way more) and then we try to load the back of the truck on the front of the atv, that didnt work off course, i didnt undestand the idea, but we put a nice dent in the chrome bumper. THen we gave up and my granddaddy came over and pulled out the truck with his Mercedes ML, pulled it out without any slippage :eek:, and we didnt even put it in low gear. Good times, good times:grin:

Forgot to mension we also flattened the tires, AFTER my dad digs a hole deep enough tha tthe tires arent touching the ground? :-p

Go play in the snow again. It may be that he high sided the car on the snow too, packing snow under the car and reducing the weight the wheels applied to the snow. I managed to do this on a sub 10k mile, manual tranny LGT, thinking, "Ahhh, the beauty of AWD", as I plowed into a deeply packed parking spot. Remember too, that the LGT also has the locking rear diff, like the Outback. I had at least three wheels spinning when I tried to leave. <Blush>

I learned that while the LGT is an awesome handling car, it's really low and one needs to be just a little careful about riding up on the snow. many winters later, I've never had the same problem. Maybe this is what he did.

Jack