Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yesterday I found a front outer axle boots has split (98 Forester L). I haven't had a chance to get under it and take a close look, but I *think* the axle is still OK.

I looked through the manual last night - looks like pulling the while thing apart would take me more time than I can spend on it right now 8(

I'm handy, but not a master mechanic - is there an easier way to replace an outer boot?

We've got another car, and can get by without using the Forester as a commuter. It probably WILL have to do grocery/home depot runs before I can get to it though. Is there a "quick boot" kit that will fit the Forester? If the axle's still good, I'd rather pay for a band-aid than risk burning it.

Thanks!

Yah replacing the half shafts with rebuilt units is probably the way to go. Only if you know for a fact it hasn't been torn too long and didn't get any grit etc up in there can the boots just be replaced. The half-boots aren't very reliable from what I've seen.

Anyway, if you go with rebuilt half shafts, I've heard MWE does a nice job. The chain store rebuilts might come with a lifetime warranty but it's still your labor to R&R the things if they fail once a year.

Uhhhmmm. It seems I'm a bit dyslexic. I climbed under this morning and thought the axle boot fairy had paid us a visit overnight. Then I realized it's the *inner* boot that split. Still lots of grease, and not filthy.

So, I'll rephrase the question:

Is there a front *inner* quick boot (split boot / 2 piece boot / whatever) that will fit a 98 Forester?

I agree with everyone that a reman axle would be better, but about all I've got time for right now is a quick boot. If it buys me a couple or three months then its worth the $15.

Thanks

Oh heck if you just want it to last 3 months then do nothing; there's people who put 50,000 miles on them with ripped boots, sure they start clicking a bit, but the inner one doesn't have to handle the sharp bends in turns or anything. You can probably find a half/split boot I would guess at any chain parts store or maybe at rockauto.