Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It is 35f in north wind and raining...

I just got done thrashing my old rusty soob around like a toy with repairs that normally leave owners giving the car up for junk....

today wind whistles once and awhile through the old roof racks and I am warm and dry, fighting off a quick sway in the wind leaving a storm of my own behind me. My old gl 4wd wagon turned 20 this month.

I just have to mention how big that little wagon gets sometimes... in times like today. Next step is ice and snow. I AM READY.

Can subaru just make 1,300,000 more of the ea82's with minor improvements for xmas? :)

placing a Clutch fan from an a/c loyale on this carb model is fantastic. My old 87 dl didn't have one and hated the rain, and liked rusting the hood.

Any ideas where a direct fan cheaply could be located?

befoaftawwellfg8.jpg

I don't mean to be rude, but..

Because I have never driven one, whats wrong with a legacy?

Why would you want to buy a new loyale considering they would still be pretty expensive as a new car?

As for the rest of the post: I wish I had snow here, sounds like so much fun. :(

If you want to put an electric fan in, the Gen2s with A/C had an electric fan in front of the water pump that fits nice in front of the motor on EA82s.

Why would you want to buy a new loyale considering they would still be pretty expensive as a new car?

As for the rest of the post: I wish I had snow here, sounds like so much fun. :(

Don't get him started on 5 bearings vs 3 bearings. He refuses to believe that 5 main bearings is good for anything. He'd never get an EJ for that reason...

don't get him started it's not worth the fight legacys kick rump roast. he thinks that the ea82 was the only good engine subaru ever made.

i second the slimfan of the ea81's there pretty common and they cool very well for electric fans, i prefer crank fans myself, but theres the info

don't get him started it's not worth the fight legacys kick rump roast. he thinks that the ea82 was the only good engine subaru ever made.

i second the slimfan of the ea81's there pretty common and they cool very well for electric fans, i prefer crank fans myself, but theres the info

Oh thats right, sorry. I forget. I just thought that much more power in the same kinda car would be just as much fun if not more. And going on how much subies cost in the 80's when they were new compared to other cars I can't see how re-making an 80's car would be feasible, seems they would cost near the same amount as the new ones, and to get them road legal these days subaru would have to add all the safty stuff like air bags and all that.

I guess I missed the point of "wish"... I take things to seriously a lot of the time, sorry.

There are good engines and bad, everything good has some bad.... the ea82 happens to be good. I would rather drive a 250k deiseling v8 ford around from 1968 before I even set foot in a legacy. For the overpriced cost of a legacy.. I would go get a beat up pickup with a v8 get same gas mileage.:confused:

Some areas hang onto dainty vehicles, mine isn't one of them. I don't even want to get a newer soob dirty.

That dainty EJ crankshaft makes me sick...:slobber:

back to thread- The clutch fan is doing great, I did find a site that has a 15inch that will fit the clutch, I don't know if it would fit, and seems extreme anyway. The same site has a 13+ inch direct drive, no clutch, and even spacers to make it fit and I may try one of those. The only thing missing for 20 years and I am just getting to it. Is Amazing ok to say?

edit: the title of this thread, took out another alternator in the said storm- a lightning bolt off in the distance. Be it a rusting soob or whatever the reason, 20 years again, for an original part is long enough for me. I just traded in another for a lifetime warranty swap and this old soob is back to life.

overpriced cost of a legacy.. I would go get a beat up pickup with a v8 get same gas mileage.:confused:

Please do.

And stop commenting on the Legacy - you have never (and by your own admission, will never) own one. Your claims are unfounded, and we don't care to hear about how much better an EA crank is than an EJ from someone that has never torn down a single subaru engine far enough to even SEE the crank.

Just because it's not what YOU own doesn't mean it's crap. Which is exactly what your small mind has come to beleive.

Frankly, the TRUTH is that the Legacy is a far better automobile on all acounts than the Loyale series ever was. Reliablilty, preformance, and drivability are all dramatically increased over the previous generations.

Stay in the dark ages if you must, but keep your cave-dwelling, tree swinging attitude to yourself. We are sick of it here.

GD

Yes, please. If you want rivalry, get a Mustang or Camaro/Firebird and argue with the group opposite of what you have, which car is a bigger POS.

The EJ engines are better than the EA engines, because of this thing called technological advancement. More reliable, more refined, more powerful, less emissions, the whole shebang.

Do I hate EA cars? Well, why don't you look at my list of cars in the upper right hand corner of my post. I have two EA cars and one EJ car.

I'm a fan of SUBARUS. That's right, I like WRXs and STis. I like Foresters, I like Bajas. I'd kill for a Legacy Spec-B. But, I also like Brats, I also like hatches, I also like Justies (although I have virtually no experience with them), I like 360s, I like Star/FF1s.

And it is one of my dreams for Subarus to be recognized for their achievements in days gone by, just as much as for their recent ones.

Anyway, [/soapbox], and [/hijack].

back to thread- The clutch fan is doing great, I did find a site that has a 15inch that will fit the clutch, I don't know if it would fit, and seems extreme anyway. The same site has a 13+ inch direct drive, no clutch, and even spacers to make it fit and I may try one of those. The only thing missing for 20 years and I am just getting to it. Is Amazing ok to say?

A clutch fan is better than a direct drive fan. If you put a direct drive fan on your car your MPG WILL DECREASE. A fan pulls like 5hp when the engine is running at working speed. The point of a clutch fan is to disengage that load when it isn't needed, increasing gas mpg.