Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who makes the Subaru oil filters?

The wagon needs an oil change tommorow and since I work 3rd shift, I wasn't able to get to a dealer to get an OEM filter. I don't suppose that another company makes their filter's and I'd be able to find one in a regular parts store?

It's a 99OBW with the 2.5L I can always wait till monday but every sunday we bring the wagon with the dogs up to my mother in laws and that's where I do all my maintenance since she's got a garage.

The wagon needs an oil change tommorow and since I work 3rd shift, I wasn't able to get to a dealer to get an OEM filter. I don't suppose that another company makes their filter's and I'd be able to find one in a regular parts store?

It's a 99OBW with the 2.5L I can always wait till monday but every sunday we bring the wagon with the dogs up to my mother in laws and that's where I do all my maintenance since she's got a garage.

I found one at Walmart, moreover, If you get a Fram I recomend going with the more expensive model, since they are not as good as OEM.

Subaru filters were ( and may still be ) Purolator. But Walmarts OWN brand is made by Champion. Good filter especially at such a low price. Better than that Fram which you will pay more for. ( My opinion...I HAVE had 2 Frams fail on me.....never again ! )

Another good alternative could be Wix (also Napa Gold); I think the OE Subaru oil filters don't have an ADBV (anti drain back valve) which many of the aftermarkets have, but it might explain why there is a Purolator without the ADBV if they make the Subaru filters. I avoid fram like the black plague.

Yes, the OEM filters are repainted Purolator Pure One (or whatever they call their most expensive filter) filters. I've compared them side to side and they are identical. The only other filter I would run besides those two is a WIX filter, which you can also buy at NAPA, where it's rebadged at the NAPA Gold filter. They even have basically the same part number, just with or without the first digit.

The new Subaru oil filters are made in Japan and are not available in aftermarket.

Yeah and my dealer wants $10 usd a peice for them ($8 if I buy a case) and won't let me buy the old ones...I used to buy my filters from the dealer because the parts guy is a good guy, and it gives me a reason to stop in and talk and give him some business but not for $10 a filter.

Devil's Advocate time: I have used FRAM filters for over 30 years and around 600k miles and have never had a bit of trouble with them. There seems to be a lot of rumor an innuendo around here about them, and I think that is unfortunate. This is not intended to be an endoresment, I just do not care for witch hunts. :)

Devil's Advocate time: I have used FRAM filters for over 30 years and around 600k miles and have never had a bit of trouble with them. There seems to be a lot of rumor an innuendo around here about them, and I think that is unfortunate. This is not intended to be an endoresment, I just do not care for witch hunts. :)

not a whichhunt just a fact. But in all honesty for every day driving it doesnt matter, SInce cars run so clean, and the lead is out of gasoline, filters dont have to work as hard as they used too. Fram meets specs, but just meets specs. the others exceed specs.

nipper

Yes, the OEM filters are repainted Purolator Pure One (or whatever they call their most expensive filter) filters. I've compared them side to side and they are identical. The only other filter I would run besides those two is a WIX filter, which you can also buy at NAPA, where it's rebadged at the NAPA Gold filter. They even have basically the same part number, just with or without the first digit.

I know that the older OEM filters were by Purolator, however, I doubt that they had the PurOne "core" in them. My reason for saying this is based on the price and on having cut open both of these filters. They didn't have the same number of pleats and the filter media (between regular and PurOne) looks about the same, so I couldn't tell which the Subaru filter had in it.

In Canada, Subaru had (has?) Fram making OEM filters under the Six Star brand name. Again, I don't know what they are doing currently.

I have no experience with the newer, smaller filters.

Commuter

I have had good luck with NAPA gold on my cars. They are cheap for me(wifey is a NAPA store manager:) ). I have had a dealing with fram. Oil filter had a hole in it with less than 1k miles on my ford f150. I am glad i caught it after only 2 quarts down. I was driving at the time. Entered a parking lot and parked. left about 10 mins later an noticed the fluid trail. Thought, "man some poor sob is loosing som major oil, trans etc". I then realized it was me.

:-\

but not for $10 a filter.

Just wanted to add - here i pay $15 NZD for a Fram filter. And if i want a passable one, i can go to repco and pay $20 NZD. Thats it.....thats all the choice i get.

I hate repco, but i hate fram filters slightly more. All the ones ive bought (for junk cars i was selling on) have been flimsy to touch and much lighter than other brands.

Yeah and my dealer wants $10 usd a peice for them ($8 if I buy a case) and won't let me buy the old ones...I used to buy my filters from the dealer because the parts guy is a good guy, and it gives me a reason to stop in and talk and give him some business but not for $10 a filter.

see if a 6 pack with drain plug washers from jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com is cheaper, considering shipping versus taxes.

Carl

Thanks guys. Picked up a Purolator pure one today as well as a purolator air filter. I wonder if purolator makes all of their filters? The air filter looked almost identical, except for different color paper.

Purolator used to make them for Subaru, until Subaru had major issues with them and went back to the black Japan built filters. These Japan built are far superior to any Purolator, mobile one, fram, etc.

Check this out before you buy any aftermarket.

I use a Napa Spinflow (made under a Wix patent) on my Suabrus and have no complaints. They are the one's in the Nascar :rolleyes: box and sell for around $3.50 each at Napa. They use a synthetic media much like the pricier Mobil1 filters. I didn't see those reviewed in the above article, but they are a relatively new design.

http://www.napafilters.com/nselect/#