Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subies and Snow=Fun!!

cd45

It snowed here in Oklahoma, finally. This is the first time that I have

gotten to use the 4WD on my 87 wagon. It had the D/R 5 Speed. I drove

around to get some errands done and to help some friends get some

groceries. I am NOT ever getting rid of my Subie, it is the best car that I

have ever owned. It would only spin if I made it spin, and I never got

stuck, even when I parked in a small snow bank. If anything goes wrong and/or breaks, I will pay to fix it. This car ROCKS!!:banana:

You should see what they will do in a severe ice storm with 4 studded tires. you will probably be making $$$ pulling every one out. we got the ice and snow too. im near springfield mo.:burnout: im about 3 hrs from you. and

i have 2 85 wagons (one thrasher/1 parts) and a nice turbo 4x4 sedan rx rear l.s.d.. Cant wait to lift it!! have you ever heard of little sahara? or the canadian river? do you ever go there?. I want to go camping and 4x4ing at the millions of spots on the canadian.

welcome to subaru heave.n

You should see what they will do in a severe ice storm with 4 studded tires. you will probably be making $$$ pulling every one out. we got the ice and snow too. im near springfield mo.:burnout: im about 3 hrs from you. and .......

old soob + ice storm == priceless.

Your words reminded me of one of my favorite soob tales...

The first time I drove around in one, was for the few hours that perfect ice was being created on anything colder than 32F. The car just happened to be one of those areas. After 40 miles down the highway in steady freezing drizzle at a speed passing everybody (I mean everybody- confidently, on my tall skinny jeep willies lookin 13 inch unstudded):grin:

I stopped, went to get out of the car, had to force the door open, due to icing,and found fangs (icicles) up front dangling even down the grill nearly closing it off from air, icicles starting to go sideways off the steel roof rails, the bumpers, the edge of the hood in front of the 4 sqaure headlights (Hence: buglenses are good) and the car overall looked like it had completed an impossible mission. I could only look out the driver and passenger windows and most of the windshield (even that, with defrost on high and staying warm in the car did not stop this perfect storm).

On/around the 100th mile and several long hours, I had to park under a bridge and let the ice go away from the carb area, air filter plenum. It was missing and coughing and I thought I was going to be stranded. It was a good idea to stop and look- I learned the carbs with no a/c can use a direct driven engine fan as much as the others that have it oem- just for the Warm air from rad, and moisture dispersal. It seem it went still too long and ice found ways to invade the engine bay...

I am ready now with that engine fan, the only thing missing from not only a safe ride in that impossible weather- it was well above average in comparison to any vehicle I have ever driven. The sense of low center of gravity, etc etc, can only come from a soob (and rarely others). I have only assumed the tall tires got warm enough to be a tall skinny knife cutting like traction- I had to try to make it spin:)

I am almost looking forward to another scenario like it...:confused:

welp ..............we just had an ice/snow weather here in the great norfwest. broke out the soobie........it drove like it was dry pavement....i have 15' studded snows made for a vw bug ...skinny as heck....lifted 8" also.....it is actually not that fun in the ice and snow....it gets way too much traction ....lol......it is incredible...we went up camp govey way with some toyotas..(they sucked for as popular as they are)...every hill we came to i was on there rump roast and could actually stop and wait on the steepest grades and take off like it was dry..........very happy:grin: :grin: :grin:

i did my lift this summer....cause is had this soobie just sitting there,didn't use it anymore and i didn't even know USRM even was here....kinda bored so i just lifted it on my own ....then i found this board :brow: .....

hell i only have a 2wd suby and have never driven a 4wd one so i cant even imagine how nice they are in the snow. I live up at Uconn most of the year and it snows alot here (well for CT). One day they cancelled classes cause it was too "dangerous" to drive. I had to see how bad it was. Rt 195 hadnt even been plowed yet so there was 7-8 inches of snow that people had driven through. I ended up going above the speed limit the whole time (by 5 mph) and gripping the road with no problems. Even went so far as to stuff my car with three friends and go back roads bashing. Even drove by a cop taking a nap...lol. Moral of my long story...subys rock in the snow...even 2wd autos (soon to be manual).

Moral of my long story...subys rock in the snow...even 2wd autos (soon to be manual).

Well, at the beginning of the snowstorm last tuesday, I took my friend's 2wd '82 wagon out in the snow (she had asked me to adjust the clutch cable for her). Went up the hill to NCAR's giant parking lot on hillside and spun it around a few times. I passed an SUV of some sort on the way up that couldn't make it up the icy hill. Wonder if he realized it was a 2wd suby that passed him :grin: Later that night I switched to my 4wd suby and drove about 20 miles home on an unplowed road with 6 to 8" of snow on it. No problem.

Yup..even the FWD Subies are good in the snow..never had a 4WD one yet..but soon (hopefully....title was accidentally lost...waiting on new one..hopefully it comes so I can get the XT6 fixed and on the road before first snow). FWD are great if you have good tires ...which right now Bucky doesnt..so I am not looking forward to even a dusting..and they are calling for just a wee bit today.

Came up with a song a while ago about this situation...

To the tune of "let it snow"

The weather outside is frightful,

but my subaru's delightful

So as long as all wheels do go..

let it snow let it snow let it snow

It doesn't show signs of stopping,

and my cylinders are hopping

The heater it's hot air blows

Let it snow let is snow let is snow

When other cars come in sight..

stuck... w/their egos all torn... (especially SUVs.)

I'll laugh when I see their plight

and wave as I lean on the horn

In the garage my tires are drying

and I start to go french frying

Ready to venture and go

Let it snow, let is snow, let is snow

hey I had a snow tire reladted question. When I moved into the current house I'm living at the old tenants left a bunch of crap in the garage mostly garbage and stuff that I had to clean out. I found a set of 4 studded snow tires I think they said they where "Eurowinters" or something like that they appear to be in pretty good condition and was wondering if I could get the mounted on subi rims (I have 8 wheels) so I'd be able to have full time snow tires on rims. The size is 155 R13 78Q M+S I know they are 13's so they should fit on but I didn't know about the other dementions.

had a case one time, i was heading to a lake on mthood after it snows quite a bit and no one had driven up it yet and i could feel the snow under my floorpans with my feet :eek: gave up after about 6 miles in. no recovery gear or cellphone service figured it would be safer to turn around. but didnt slide or get stuck with regular road tires :headbang:

I drove the legacy around the last snow/ice strom since the RX had bald tires. The legacy was running on NON studded Nokkian Hakkas+locking center diff+300hp. I had zero problems, but I bet the RX would have been more fun if it had some good tires on