Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Untint the indicator light to clear?

I see in this pic here

rearlegion8xj.jpg

That the taillight(lane shifter part(lol the yellow light, not thinking today)) I think it looks way better like that, compared to yellow, but you think it will be to bright? Or can i make it red, instead of clear? Thanks, just thought it might be a good change to those taillights.

I see in this pic here

rearlegion8xj.jpg

That the taillight(lane shifter part(lol the yellow light, not thinking today)) I think it looks way better like that, compared to yellow, but you think it will be to bright? Or can i make it red, instead of clear? Thanks, just thought it might be a good change to those taillights.

Its way to bright in foul weather (and on pitch black roads), not to mention is probably illegal, depending upon how tivket hungry the local police are.

nipper

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

It's fine as long as you replace it with an amber bulb. You have to bake the headlights in the oven (the minimum temp on my oven is 200F which may be a bit too high but I managed to get it right the SECOND time lol. Try 150F and keep checking it every few minutes or else...see 2nd picture). There's just an amber piece of plastic insert inside the taillights that comes right out.

I think it looks much better. I wanted it red too and I saw a legacy that had gotten most of them red and left a about an inch or so on the bottom clear for the blinker and I thought it looked really good but I don't know how he pulled that off.

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

It's fine as long as you replace it with an amber bulb. You have to bake the headlights in the oven (the minimum temp on my oven is 200F which may be a bit too high but I managed to get it right the SECOND time lol. Try 150F and keep checking it every few minutes or else...see 2nd picture). There's just an amber piece of plastic insert inside the taillights that comes right out.

I think it looks much better. I wanted it red too and I saw a legacy that had gotten most of them red and left a about an inch or so on the bottom clear for the blinker and I thought it looked really good but I don't know how he pulled that off.

cool, so why do i need to put them in my oven? Is it so the glue separates from the outer casing so i can remove the tint from inside the lences? Thanks.

And manarius i did search but it wasn't tint dont to this car it was a newer outback, looking specifically for my legacy wagon.

Yes, the purpose of baking them in the oven is to melt the glue(pretty much tar, don't touch that stuff to anything when it's melted or it's a real *************** getting off and it sticks instantly)so you can pry the lens apart enough to remove the amber insert. You don't have to get it all the way apart, I got it part way open and reached in and pulled out the amber piece.

I used a flathead screwdriver to carefuly pry the lens off but be careful because it can chip easily. All in all, it's not hard to do. I made the mistake of leaving it in for 10 or 15 mins the first time and melted the lenses but I had a spare pair so it didn't really matter and I'll never make that mistake again and hopefully with that said, neither will anyone who I've spoken to about it.

Good luck!

not headlights......they're amber turn signals, without the egg-yok look

ya, im sure they are not the same as there crappy headlights. Now i need moms permission to pull the lights and bake them, i don't know if she likes it clear. or yellow, im hoping clear.:grin:

It looks way better clear but I almost had a hard time getting my mom to let me bake mine in HER oven. She thought it would make it smell bad or something but it didn't. I did ruin her oven mit by getting that black sealant crap on it though and she wasn't too happy about that!

It looks way better clear but I almost had a hard time getting my mom to let me bake mine in HER oven. She thought it would make it smell bad or something but it didn't. I did ruin her oven mit by getting that black sealant crap on it though and she wasn't too happy about that!

well ill definitly clean them before baking, does a heat gun work by any chance?

I think i got the ok, because my mom and dad LOVE the clear look. YAY!! But ill probably mess it up, hopefully not :rolleyes:

well ill definitly clean them before baking, does a heat gun work by any chance?

I think i got the ok, because my mom and dad LOVE the clear look. YAY!! But ill probably mess it up, hopefully not :rolleyes:

suggestion, try to find another lense to try it on first to get the feel for it before you use yours.

nipper