Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Piston slap and Mobile 1 O/40??

Haven't tried the Ow40 stuff yet. I'm currently still in the testing phase with the Delvac 5w40 (on the second oil change with it right now). I've never had piston slap issues with my EJ22...mostly was looking for an oil that I could run in all of my vehicles, gas and diesel. I also like the higher TBN that comes with a diesel oil, which should better handle any fuel dilution that comes from extended idling in cold weather. One thing's for sure, the Mobil oil has way more detergent than the dino oil that used to be in this thing. I had a lot of carbon and junk come out with the first oil change.

Is the 0w40 listed as a gasoline oil or a diesel oil?

On the big bob oil board, some people say mobil1 makes their engine noisier. I haven't run it in a Suby so I'm not sure. I've seen another oil that once it was claimed good for that newer VW standard it was not longer diesel rated.

Some multi-vis oils that have a huge spread between the W number and the second number achieve it with viscosity index improvers (VII's). Perhaps not a big deal these days with higher quality VII's available, but the more VII's in the oil, the less volume left for other good stuff like anti-wear (AW), etc, oh, and the base oil!

the mobile 1 0/40 when it first came out was not listed to be used in some of the very exotic vehicles like the Audi, but since the oil has been upgraded to the desig nated VW/502 catagory it has almost a UNIVERSIAL application...According to mobile, since both my vehicles are past warranty, this oil can be used in both my VW diesel and gas VW van...the only oil that can be used in the newer diesel freightliner vans.. it is not classed as a diesel oil that can be used in a gas application like the 5/40 syn..

Haven't tried the Ow40 stuff yet. I'm currently still in the testing phase with the Delvac 5w40 (on the second oil change with it right now). I've never had piston slap issues with my EJ22...mostly was looking for an oil that I could run in all of my vehicles, gas and diesel. I also like the higher TBN that comes with a diesel oil, which should better handle any fuel dilution that comes from extended idling in cold weather. One thing's for sure, the Mobil oil has way more detergent than the dino oil that used to be in this thing. I had a lot of carbon and junk come out with the first oil change.

the TBN is a little higher in the 15/40 dino..some kind of trade-off I guess

I to have experienced the 5/40 to make more noise, especially if the car has been sitting for a long time..But this was with a car that had many many miles on it and the tolerances are wider along with waeker hydraulics, unlike the newer vehicles of today...another reason why I started this thread, would be to recommend an oil to my daughter other then the castrol 5/30 syntec which can not be poured out of the bottle during the winter...interesting enough a 5/20 Honda oil will pour at the same temp...wal marts brand 10/30 is actually stiffer in cold weather then the castrol 10/30 dino..I am rambling to much here ...

On the big bob oil board, some people say mobil1 makes their engine noisier. I haven't run it in a Suby so I'm not sure. I've seen another oil that once it was claimed good for that newer VW standard it was not longer diesel rated.

Some multi-vis oils that have a huge spread between the W number and the second number achieve it with viscosity index improvers (VII's). Perhaps not a big deal these days with higher quality VII's available, but the more VII's in the oil, the less volume left for other good stuff like anti-wear (AW), etc, oh, and the base oil!

Yeah, I forgot to mention what happened when I first switched over....I switched from dino oil to mobil 1 10w30 at the 167k mark, and it started developing a tick from one lifter right after startup. (that's probably what the people on the oil board were talking about). The tick persisted when I switched to the Delvac 5w40, so I tried adding a quart of marvel mystery oil and going on a long drive at high speed. No more tick for the last 2000 miles.

I had similar issues on an EA82 that got switched to synthetic around the 80k mark.

I think what happens is that the increased detergent properties of the synthetic cause a slow exodus of the built up crud in the lifters, and while that crud is coming lose, the lifters tend to leak down when the engine is shut off. After I ran the MMO through it, all the crud was gone, and the tick went away.

oils not going to help Piston slap, thats when the skirt isnt low enough and the piston sort of "flops" around a bit causing noise, many GM engines do it, and its considerd to be comepletley normal and causes no extra wear or adverse effects, usually when the engine hits operating temps, the piston gets hot and expands and the noise stops. Your probably hearing lifter tick.

actually oil does help piston slap. I have been experimenting for a while with oils and have seen quite a difference. I have used Pennsoil 10-30, Mobil 1 10-30, Mobil 1, 15-50, and now Havoline 5-30. oil tests are good with all of the above and the Havoline is the quietest, next is the 15-50 Mobil 1.

I have no idea why the Havoline was quieter and it was not my idea, some of the guys on Bobistheoilguy reported good results with it. I like extended OCIs myself, but for the quiet I'll change more often with the Havoline.

Next time I might try the Delvac for chuckles. It was always good in my diesels.