Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82t power differences in different countries

I was just reading some posts on EA82t's and saw more talk about them having less power in the US vs most other countries. Can anyone tell me what loses that extra power in the US version? Why is it less?

Just wondering. :rolleyes:

Because of the different emission control related components like the cams,ECU,disty,and catlyst

Because of the different emission control related components like the cams,ECU,disty,and catlyst

So it's quite a lot.. Has anyone sourced parts of EA82t's from other countries to the US for that little extra go? Or is it easier to just find better parts from performance places and other cars?

I was just reading some posts on EA82t's and saw more talk about them having less power in the US vs most other countries. Can anyone tell me what loses that extra power in the US version? Why is it less?

Just wondering. :rolleyes:

Two words: Tree Huggers:mad: .

EDM XT's don't have a O2 sensor, that's true, but they don't have a EGT sensor either.

I don't know about the cams, disty or ECU, if someone is interested, I can post the part number of my 88 XT turbo later on.

Obviously my experience with EDM soobs is limited. However I have seen EGTs on a couple EDM motors, while hearing reoprts that some did not have them (never specifically looked at an XT.. the ones I have seen have been EA82s out of sedans and wagons..difference there maybe?)

If it wasnt for tree huggers we wouldnt be driving subarus :)

nipper

I don't mind tree huggers. A 1781cc should have been left to breathe all it can to keep up with todays standards however (even back when they were new). There are bigger engines to this day doing much less with environmental conservation. The newer soobs with large intakes clearly show even they backed off the paranoia (almost). The old EA82 EGR is my guess along with all the controls as mentioned, to bring less power. I have also found intentionally crushed y-pipe manifolds keeping a decent flow from happening. That 1 7/8th inc system for exhaust is perfectly changed for 2 inch- for less constipation. Turbo, non-turbo they have really squashed the ea82's from really running. A few tricks to get it to breathe and that is about all one can do.:confused:

The numbers written for the old soobs seem wrong as well for americans,I am sure the majority of the world with metrics has them correct. (The weight of the vehicle for example). That was noted the days these EA82's came out- "the gvwr number on the door is more than my chevy half ton pick up" is a clear indication a genious wasn't needed to figure there are written mistakes. 90hp seems absurd until the intake is analyzed- incredibly small to any inline of similar displacement. The engine is there, the guts are quite respectable. They simply did not think big enough for intake, etc. and the speed of the curve needed if there was one (engine controls).

I Recently on my second carbed soob, after opening the enigne to breathe more, and fuel dies at 4000 rpm , not completely dies, but it does show that even oem soobs maximum was absurd back then on ea82. I thought that went for the world as well.

ungodly amount of text from bgd

you know, this might be the first post that I actually understand what you are saying :D

just for the record, what does the "gvwr number" state as the weight of the car? my XT weighs in at around 1250kgs. And is making 140'ish chp (mostly stock).

you know, this might be the first post that I actually understand what you are saying :D

just for the record, what does the "gvwr number" state as the weight of the car? my XT weighs in at around 1250kgs. And is making 140'ish chp (mostly stock).

GVWR is the gross volume weight something. Basically, its the weight of the car when fully loaded with maximum carrying capacity. A subaru has a GVWR somewhere around 3200lbs if I remember correctly, but they also have around 1000lb-800lb carrying capacity, meaning the car weighs 2200 lbs. If BGD would actually understand that, he should realize that the GVWR number means basically sh*t.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't mind tree huggers. The newer soobs with large intakes clearly show even they backed off the paranoia (almost).

All the poor emissions controls from the 70's through the early 90's was simply due to lack of technology. I bet those newer soobs with larger engines pump out cleaner emissions than the older heavily restricted ones. Case point the early turbo dodges (84-87 turbo 1 147hp) had egr, the later didn't (88+ turbo 2 175hp). It wasn't that emissions targets got easier it was the electronics and consequently the tuning that did.

All the poor emissions controls from the 70's through the early 90's was simply due to lack of technology. I bet those newer soobs with larger engines pump out cleaner emissions than the older heavily restricted ones. Case point the early turbo dodges (84-87 turbo 1 147hp) had egr, the later didn't (88+ turbo 2 175hp). It wasn't that emissions targets got easier it was the electronics and consequently the tuning that did.

computers are a very very good thing

nipper