Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh Noooooo!

I searched for like two hours and read 300 post but would still like some opinions please! 86 4x4 wagon Ea82 carbed. Over heating and fast disaperance of coolent whith cap on, like in 5 minutes it will suck half a rad of water. Not much steam out of muffler (30 degrees out) With cap off after five minutes it spits coolent out of rad filler. I hope its just stuck stat but something tells me its a head gasket at the worst. oil looks ok so i dont think the coolent is going there. Allso with the cap on it pushes the coolent back into the tank. Do these tanks have overflows? Allso when i put the holley on about six months ago I jb welded the hole under the carb. Could that suck that much water that fast? Wouldnt I see alot of steam then? I plan to disconect that hose from intake and plug it tommorow when its going to be like 25f out. :-\

Darn:mad: I can get anther engine with more miles on it for $ 150 and I can change the engine in like three or four hours. So I think I will do that and keep this engine and rebuild it. The engine I can get is from a spfi car, can I put my carby intake on there as long as I change disty to?

You guys are the best!!!!!!! :banana:

After more testing I know for sure its HG. I pulled the pcv hoses off the valve covers and steam was coming out of both. I pluged the coolent line that goes to the carb Allso just in case. So now next saturday I get to pick out of 4 different subes with Ea82s, 88 to 92 All spfi. $150 pulled with out intake and alt. I dont have ac so not worried about that. Well this will be this cars third engine but still plan to do HGs and reseal on this engine because its only at 125.00 miles. It did over heat on me a couple of weaks ago so thats life. Any thing I should look for on these engines? Im use to 86 and older so I dont know to much about newer Ea82s. Then i get to put it in old school by putting hoist on 6 inch round oak tree limb in 30 or 40f weather

:eek:

Check egr valve passenger side- anything obvious at junk yard. loose (carbon around it), cracks. the ea82 needs an extreme reason to pop a gasket or crack head (I have never encountered one with bad heads or gaskets in my area since paying attention to them for well over a decade- at most a bad intake due to egr.). Intake seals and anywhere antifreeze can leak. If engines are unknown condition this particular junk yard seems risky to purchase from.

After taking an ea82 apart- they are very strong even with bad torques on a few head bolts. I see this subject posted here all the time and immediately think "EGR gone wild on a good engine". As the EGR causes extreme problems here for me where it is colder average, southern states must be melting the ea82 sometimes.

Good Luck on engine #3.. seems you need it :confused:

Check egr valve passenger side- anything obvious at junk yard. loose (carbon around it), cracks. the ea82 needs an extreme reason to pop a gasket or crack head (I have never encountered one with bad heads or gaskets in my area since paying attention to them for well over a decade- at most a bad intake due to egr.). Intake seals and anywhere antifreeze can leak. If engines are unknown condition this particular junk yard seems risky to purchase from.

After taking an ea82 apart- they are very strong even with bad torques on a few head bolts. I see this subject posted here all the time and immediately think "EGR gone wild on a good engine". As the EGR causes extreme problems here for me where it is colder average, southern states must be melting the ea82 sometimes.

Good Luck on engine #3.. seems you need it :confused:

First engine I retired because of old age it still ran but was beat to heck I still have It for parts and the heads are gen 1 with no cracks . Second engine still runs great yet except the HGs took a poop because of over heat, but still is a strong engine so I plan to do every thing to it when i take it out. I will be able to hear all four engines in JY run as they all are there rust. yes i plan to let them run untill i know they dont over heat. My carbed intakes egr is blocked off so no problem there. What the heck for A $150 this last engine has been a great runner. I allso have a tendency to lets say be a little hard on my engines, not changing oil on time and stuff like that. Lets Face it I beat the heck out of this car and she has never left me on side of the road.:cool: