Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exaust/muffler/horse power

Hi all,

I have an 87 d/r 4wd 5sp. I believe this is the EA82 right?

anyways I am wondering about giving her a little extra power. I heard that the muffler is a bad bottleneck. Suggestions as to what to look at doing? Muffler? full exaust? focus on engine bay (electric fan, power steering pump etc.).

on a side not: my windshield wipes don;t have intermittent and are rather slow, is this a relay thing or motor dying, or do subies just have slow rump roast wipers?

my loyale which akin to your 87 never came with an intermittent setting. it's either off, slow, or less slow.

as for exhaust, you're almost good with just deleting the cats unless its unlawful in your region to do so. i'm not sure how much of an advantage a wider pipe would be though.

my loyale which akin to your 87 never came with an intermittent setting. it's either off, slow, or less slow.

as for exhaust, you're almost good with just deleting the cats unless its unlawful in your region to do so. i'm not sure how much of an advantage a wider pipe would be though.

well I would agree but eventually I would have to put the cat back in to pass smog (CA car). also I would want to keep the car from being a gross polluter so I had sort of eliminated cat removal as an option. Thanks for the wiper info though!

well im not sure but does that car have two cats like the EA81's? If so delete one, and swap the other out for a high flow. Dont bother increasing the exhaust diameter. These motors need a certain amount of backpressure to operate well. Also get rid of the stock muffler and put in a high flow as well. Theres a write up somewhere on the kind of one too look for. I have a dynomax high flow on my car.

well im not sure but does that car have two cats like the EA81's?

I've had 6 EA81s (turbo and non) and they all had 1 cat. The Cali turbos came with two for sure though.

Dont bother increasing the exhaust diameter. These motors need a certain amount of backpressure to operate well.

Who told you that? Almost any engine can benifit from increasing the diameter of the exhaust. For his aplication anything above 2 1/2" is much too large.

EA81s, it was only the Cali models I believe that had two cats. EA82s, all of them I've ever seen has had two cats.

But yeah, these engines can definitely benefit from larger exhaust, though I'd say 2"-2.25" is the sweet spot. Much more, and you start losing too much torque I'd think.

And its not back pressure really that's needed, its higher flow velocity that helps with scavenging effect. A smaller diameter will have a larger velocity, which gives you more power down low, but as the engine gets up to higher speeds, the smaller diameter exhaust doesn't allow it to breathe enough.

This is really only true for N/A, as turbos have different tuning requirements.

well mine was sold new in Guilford CT and its still in Guilford so i know its not a CA model and its got two cats and so did my other CT subaru and it came from another CT dealership so im thinking it wasnt only a CA thing :)

I think you're right. I know Cali models for sure had them, then depends on the options. I'll have to look at my FSM I just got, but it showed the different exhausts in 1984, and some had two cats, some didn't.

Interesting. Id be curious what areas got what exhausts. Here are the things i kno

1)my 83 sedan has two cats and was sold new in guilford CT

2)my former 86 EA81 hatch had two cats and was sold in CT

3)my brother-in-law had an 84 sedan in MA that had two cats from the factory as well

Would this also have something to do with whether the car was a 2wd or 4wd? All of the cars i just listed are 2wd EA81's.

on a side not: my windshield wipes don;t have intermittent and are rather slow, is this a relay thing or motor dying, or do subies just have slow rump roast wipers?

When I got my Loyale, it had an intermittent setting that didn't work plus the wipers were really slow as well. I added a new ground to the wiper motor and the intermittant worked again plus the wipers were a little faster. Then I sprayed the battery terminals and connectors with Deoxit and whoa! They're moving like new now!

-Doug

When I got my Loyale, it had an intermittent setting that didn't work plus the wipers were really slow as well. I added a new ground to the wiper motor and the intermittant worked again plus the wipers were a little faster. Then I sprayed the battery terminals and connectors with Deoxit and whoa! They're moving like new now!

-Doug

I'll have to try that

New England may have had similar emissions regulations as Cali at the time and all cars shipped there were required to have Cali smog equipment. Just an idea.

Not required but end up here all the time. My dad buys new tractor trailers with it sometimes- could be in any vehicle. All my soobs were emissioned very highly, and ecu would state it as non california, with all the gadgets in it anyway.

As for your wipers Nathan. chase- I think they are slow in all the old soobs. Top end engine heat is bad news for wiper engine. The cure for me was taking everything that moved out of the car for wiper linkage and motor, and greasing motor and plastic lubeless linkage balls with synthetic grease. Now with heavy wipers (iced) on high the car shakes to the wipers :grin: They increased speed dramatically all on same power oem motor. The following page explains a little bit of what I did, The linkage at wiper arms that bolts to car can be taken out too (another tough dry spot on my old soobs) and greased well via a clip removed and sliding shafts out on each one.I think to percentage the increase- 50% wouldn't be exagerating. My low speed was what my high speed used to do after greasing.

I should get photo of that and finish my web page ... :confused:

http://93loyale.com/wipers.html